CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

3 spoke steering wheel without airbag

Was at Kragen auto parts store and found a real nice steering wheel that I could easily spray paint to match the color of my interior, so I go to the service /parts counter and talk to the guy about the adapter I will need in order to install the new one ...I give him my make and model /year and he straight off tells me its "impossible" <_< tells me I cant help you because they don’t make AEM steering wheels for cars that have airbags!

Is this guy just plain ignorant or what ...I doubt its impossible...what kind of kit will i need to purchase?

And if you guys can recommend a spray paint (beige) that will hold on good to vinyl that would be great :)

Wow! Talk about a complicated system to get into and then safety air bags etc - on top of that (literally). No matter how much money was thrown at it, I don't think it would ever look OK or ever work right again. And forget about resale-value, even if you could without an air bag, etc.

If you contact "Pimp My Ride" (television show), they might have some inside vendor information?

Before you begin prying around, do you realize the air bag is inflated by an small, accurate explosive charge?

There are also spray coatings to promote adheasion for flexible plastic surfaces (bumpers specifically), but the top coat needs to be an engineered product. I have used some spray paint made for vinyl, but it might be almost impossible to ensure that it would stick to a high-usage item like a steering wheel. The color choices were also very limited.

The only cost-effective method to have a 3-spoke steering wheel in a Caddy - might be to cut off one existing spoke... :lol:

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Wow! Talk about a complicated system to get into and then safety air bags etc - on top of that (literally). No matter how much money was thrown at it, I don't think it would ever look OK or ever work right again. And forget about resale-value, even if you could without an air bag, etc.

If you contact "Pimp My Ride" (television show), they might have some inside vendor information?

Before you begin prying around, do you realize the air bag is inflated by an small, accurate explosive charge?

There are also spray coatings to promote adheasion for flexible plastic surfaces (bumpers specifically), but the top coat needs to be an engineered product. I have used some spray paint made for vinyl, but it might be almost impossible to ensure that it would stick to a high-usage item like a steering wheel. The color choices were also very limited.

The only cost-effective method to have a 3-spoke steering wheel in a Caddy - might be to cut off one existing spoke... :lol:

i was looking for a serious answer here <_< BTW i didnt understand the first half of your post...im sure there is a way

Is this guy just plain ignorant or what ...I doubt its impossible...what kind of kit will i need to purchase?

Can you imagine the liability that an aftermarket maker of steering wheels would incur by supplying a wheel that doesn't provide for the air bag? I don't doubt for a moment that they wouldn't be made. What would be your liability if you sell a car you have disabled the airbag?

I saw a kid total his Saturn on a telephone pole outside our house. Thanks to the airbag he had only minor scratches. The pole was squarly in the middle of the hood which gives some idea of the impact forces.

i was looking for a serious answer here <_ btw i didnt understand the first half of your post...im sure there is a way>

That was a serious answer. And to translate, nobody's going to purchase a car that's been "hacked" with an aftermarket steering wheel. The SRS is complicated, and may not be able to be "disabled" simply by removing the steering wheel. In addition, you may have some trouble with simply "spray bombing" the wheel, because it's a high-use item and simple spray paint isn't going to last very long.

But to answer your original question, I don't think anyone here has done a project like yours before. If you can't find a kit in a parts store, and can't find one on the Internet (look real hard), then I doubt one is available, for the reasons stated in this thread.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

i was kinda expecting sum support frm u guys...not discouragement

Nobody said "don't do it"...they just pointed out some examples of catastrophes involving deactivated airbags, and an advisement about the type of paint to use. That's intended to help you out. We haven't told you about any kits because we haven't seen any kits out there. If I knew of one, I'd let you know about it.

STS,

You have a valid point. I was kinda hard on you I suppose. Sorry...and please do not take it personal. :huh:

I just could not envision such a fine automobile going through that kind of modification with any degree of success and I did not consider reasssembly with original parts for resale.

But I have to tell you that Jadcok is also correct. Think of this, compared to wheels, mufflers, air filters and radios (all relatively easy items and not related to safety) - the steering column/wheel and air bag are above and beyond the scope of virtually all after-market bolt-ons and dead-center safety items.

Another simple fact is that the "after-market" has to have a "market", not just a handfull of potential customers. For a left-hand compliment - your desire is way above and beyond the skill of the vast majorty of potential customers.

Again, sorry for me coming across as a smart a** (not the fiirst or last I suppose).

Take a look, this site supports for sure, but with a bit a 'tude about Caddys. ;)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

STS,

You have a valid point.  I was kinda hard on you I suppose.  Sorry...and please do not take it personal.  :huh:

I just could not envision such a fine automobile going through that kind of modification with any degree of success and I did not consider reasssembly with original parts for resale.

But I have to tell you that Jadcok is also correct.  Think of this, compared to wheels, mufflers, air filters and radios (all relatively easy items and not related to safety) - the steering column/wheel and air bag are above and beyond the scope of virtually all after-market bolt-ons and dead-center safety items. 

Another simple fact is that the "after-market" has to have a "market", not just a handfull of potential customers.  For a left-hand compliment - your desire is way above and beyond the skill of the vast majorty of potential customers.   

Again, sorry for me coming across as a smart a** (not the fiirst or last I suppose).

Take a look, this site supports for sure, but with a bit a 'tude about Caddys.  ;)

Naw, don’t sweat it :P

I appreciate everyone’s advice here on Caddyinfo.com negative or positive

i just assumed it i an easy switch...IMO A steering wheel raelly plays a big role in the whole driving experiance, and the one i have in my STS is just to thin for my likeing if you know what i mean...if anyone has driven or been inside the newer Toyota Rav-4s...that’s the type of steering wheel I would like to have believe it or not :)

... the one i have in my STS is just to thin for my likeing if you know what i mean...if anyone has driven or been inside the newer Toyota Rav-4s...that’s the type of steering wheel I would like to have believe it or not :)

Perhaps you could look into getting a leather steering wheel cover to "thicken" up the grip? (Wheelskins. etc.)

This will allow you to maintain the airbag functionality. The leather covers come in many colors and is likely much easier to match/re-dye, if required.

Grant also sells steering wheel rings (wood, leather, etc) that supposedly are molded to the exact contour of your wheel. They looked good in the pictures. :)

Jadock, do you mean to say that I could convert my steering wheel to a wooden one? (ie the newer STSs).

I did not see an example of steering wheel rings on Grant's website, only complete sterring wheels.

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Archived