CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New old STS owner fixing problems

Hey guys. First off I am a new user here and I am a new Cadillac owner. I picked up a 92 Seville STS 4.9L and have begun repairing all the things that got left neglected by the previous owner. I searched for a couple of issues and didn't really turn up anything useful so I'll just throw my problems out there and add a couple of general questions. If I've broken some site protocol please forgive me n00bness.

My electric fans will not come on. The motors are good. The relays are good. I just changed the thermostat and coolant temp sensor. The fans didn't work before then either. I changed those because the DIC would flip out and alarm saying the car was overheating when it was not. I went and checked. It was never overheating. That's when I first noticed the fans didn't run. I haven't hooked up a DMM and checked yet but I'm guessing the PCM isn't sending the relays the enable signal on the fan ctrl circuit, drk grn/drk blu wires. Is the PCM waiting for a signal from another system before engaging them? I ask because my A/C doesn't work. Sometimes the DIC displays a low pressure alarm. The owner gassed it up last year but said even then it never got cold. The compressor clutch engages. I can't repair A/C systems worth a crap so I'm gonna go pay someone to fix that. But still would that make the fans not engage?

Is there a sensor on the firewall side of the engine down near the exhaust manifold? I found a two pin connector, which was the same style as the coolant temp sensor, melted to the exhaust manifold. Did it go to something or is it an extra connector for a different motor?

What is the secret for getting to those back 4 spark plugs? I can't get to them from the bottom. I can only fit my arm through one spot on the drivers side down by the tranny and I can hardly move and can't reach all of the plugs. Do you have to remove the passenger side inner fenderwell or something?

I bought O2 sensors for the vehicle. The autopart store's computer said it needed 2 but I can only find one. I changed the one in the front manifold by the starter. Where's the other one? I couldn't feel one on the back manifold.

Where is the chime module located or does it play through the front speakers? When the overheating alarms were happening the dinging was driving me nuts. I want to disable that.

I already know this is a n00b question cause I was overwhelmed with all the posts about it, so I'll just ask: what Ohm value resistors do I plug in to the rear air shock connectors so the service ride message will go away?

I noticed while I was under the car that my tranny is a 4T60E. Is that just a transverse model of the 4L60E? I have a bunch of 40L60 parts laying around and it would be nice if I could use the things like the clutch packs, drums, bands, servos etc.

Are the front springs on a 92 the same as a 93 model? I want a stiffer ride and find some springs listed for a 93 STS but no 92. Also can you crank down the rear leaf springs like you can on a corvette to lower the back down?

Does anyone have a tan/creme colored roof console for sale?

What is the secret for getting to those back 4 spark plugs?

Extensions, band aids and 4 letter words.

I bought O2 sensors for the vehicle. The autopart store's computer said it needed 2 but I can only find one. I changed the one in the front manifold by the starter. Where's the other one? I couldn't feel one on the back manifold.

I thought the 4.9 only had one, but it would have to be beyond the "Y". If you found one on the exhaust manifold, then there must be another on the other on. Maybe a little lower on the exhaust pipe?

If the 2nd sensor was after the factory cat, then I imagine it is gone since the cat was replaced with a straight pipe.

What is the secret for getting to those back 4 spark plugs?

Extensions, band aids and 4 letter words.

I thought the 4.9 only had one, but it would have to be beyond the "Y". If you found one on the exhaust manifold, then there must be another on the other on. Maybe a little lower on the exhaust pipe?

Archived