CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Car won't idle, voltmeter spikes

Hey guys. My dad called and told me that his '03 DHS won't idle... He says if he throttles it a bit it'll keep running, but otherwise it'll shut off... He says that the Voltmeter spikes up and down and it smells like it's running rich.

Do you guys think it's the alternator?

-No idle

-Voltmeter spiking

-Runs only when it gets throttle

Any ideas? How difficult are the alternators to replace on this car?

A little more diagnosis would be useful here.

Pull the Diagnostic Trouble Codes paying particular attention to "P" codes. Here's how;

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

There is one common easy-to-fix vacuum leak issue with 2000+ engines but we need to codes to confirm the situation.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

• 2 months later...
Hey guys. My dad called and told me that his '03 DHS won't idle... He says if he throttles it a bit it'll keep running, but otherwise it'll shut off... He says that the Voltmeter spikes up and down and it smells like it's running rich.

Do you guys think it's the alternator?

-No idle

-Voltmeter spiking

-Runs only when it gets throttle

Any ideas? How difficult are the alternators to replace on this car?

Hey,

I had the same issue on my 2001 DTS. The idle issue is most likely the IAC. It is on the throttle body plenum attached with 2 phillips screws. It is a $300 part, so verify it is the problem by loosening the screws and pulling it out a little. This will allow the idle air past and it should idle normally. If it idles, that is the problem.

Most likely the voltage spile is a result of the alternator going live, but there may be a short in the main battery cable.

Archived