CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

P0101 issues in the cold

First let me say hello, im new to the forums. I own a 97 Seville with 178k on it and a 99 Seville with 103K on it, i service them regularly and do most of my own work on them.

I have an odd situation going on with my 99 Seville.

On the way to work one very cold morning the SEL came on and about 5 miles the engine just cut off. It started up again no problem and when i ran the codes i got a P0101. I was leaving on a buisness trip in 2 days so i took it in to the dealer shop and had them "fix" it. Of coarse they said it was the MAF and replaced it. well on the trip i got it again, same thing got the code about 5 miles car dies, same code. The rest of the week on it did fine, no problem at all.

It started doing it again and i decided to get the part myselff and change it (yes it it a GM OEM part, got it from the cadillac dealer) and it is STILL doing it but i have noticed some things.

It only does it if it is cold out 35 and below

When it does happens it will only stall if the RPM goes below 750 (stoping at a light and so on)

It will continue to stall out at 750 RPM till i clear the code. (if i keep the RPM at 1k it will not stall.

I have both GM tech manuals for that year Seville coming they just havent arrived yet.

I know that MAF's use a"heat" wire and the air passing over it cools it and the ECM will read that as a voltage differance. Is there any way of knowing what voltages it is seeing and what the ranges should be.

Any help would be great, it is annoying to say the least.

I will know for sure if it only does it in the cold as it is supposed to get into the 60's for the next week (its 15 here today)

Just because it throws a code for the MAF, doesn't mean the sensor is bad. it can be the fuel pump failing, & the MAF is detecting the failure. check your fuel pressure. Do you notice a decrease in performance on heavy accelerations under a load (eg - going up hills)?

Just because it throws a code for the MAF, doesn't mean the sensor is bad. it can be the fuel pump failing, & the MAF is detecting the failure. check your fuel pressure. Do you notice a decrease in performance on heavy accelerations under a load (eg - going up hills)?

No but now that you mention that i have noticed a small "hiccup" just before the SEL comes on, i don't know why i didn't notice or mention it. It always seems to have plenty of power even after the SEL comers on but i will check and see.

I think it does have something to do with the outside temp. It has been in the mid 20's everyday this week as i drive home, yesterday it was 41 according to the temp on the dash. and i didn't have any problems at all no SEL nothing.

So either the MAF isn't getting the right voltage to heat the element properly or i have a fuel issue and the cold air is too dense for the fuel mix. Any other thoughts

Archived