CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hard Starting

PAUL T

Lately my 94 Concours has been getting harder to start first thing in the morning. This morning it cranked a while then backfired, making a good bit of smoke come out around the plastic cover. I suspect the fuel pressure regulator leaking gas overnight flooding the engine, thus causing hard morning start. I have not checked it yet, the car starts fine all day after the hard morning starts. There was only a P074 history code present. Anyone else have this problem?

To reinforce Guru (as if he needed credibility-ha!), I recently had a fpr failure, but the problem was starting hot, not cold.

I am curious though about running the engine without the manifold cover. This has been mentioned in the past, and I puzzled over it. I have 95 etc with 137k miles. When the fpr failed I took the cover off, verified that it really was the fpr, ordered the part from gmpartsdirect, received it a couple of days later, installed the new fpr then replaced the cover. So I drove the car for 3-4 days sans cover.

So what is the cover doing for us, other than just lookin good?

<_< I noticed this morning that, when I tap the gas pedal once before starting, it started easier. I thought maybe it was the battery voltage being too low, but I think the battery is o.k. and it is in the fuel delivery system. Is there any PCM data values to watch? I should mention that the mileage is at 110,000. I know I need to check the plugs.

I know from the board that when the manifold cover is off and you start the car, it will run WIDE OPEN. Not good!! :(

Thanks for the info BBobynski, not exactly what I wanted to hear, but thanks a bunch. I know from experience that the FPR is a whole lot easier to change than the fuel pump. :D

Archived