CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

blower fan

i have been reading the numerous posts on blower motors today mine quit working also

it began to run then shut down and ran again on defrost then only Then we got a nasty electrical

smell in the car no smoke just a bad odor was all

this is on a 98 deville with 120,000 miles on her what i would like to know is IF it is still the opinion

when you get all these factors its the motor that went bad

you can e mail me off list if you want as i have Constant problems logging into this message board or forum for some reason

thanks

gordon

flasht62@fairpoint.net[/size]

Yes, your blower motor is dead.

=======================================

Yep thats what i thought after reading a bunch of the old posts

its hard to believe tho they want over 250.00 for a new one the engine cooling

fans are even cheaper

So does anyone have a cheap source for these fans they have dealt with

thanks

gordon

=====================================

Direct Auto is the cheapest one i can find $$169.99

i found them by typing G/M blower motor into google search with the name blower motor and part number just off a hunch and it brought that up that is about 100.00 cheaper than anyone else is

gordon

=====================================

Direct Auto is the cheapest one i can find $$169.99

i found them by typing G/M blower motor into google search with the name blower motor and part number just off a hunch and it brought that up that is about 100.00 cheaper than anyone else is

gordon

=======================================

Well i tried to install it after 1 1/2 hrs i gave up i took the engine supports off

tried tilting it to the rear that did not work either still could not get the bottom bolt

out So called the pontiac dealer near me they said the flat rate was 1.4 hrs to R/R

this thing

BAD thing is asap i am going to need to buy a new one and take this used one out and

install a new one then Hopefully it will not be cold out by then and i will have plenty of

time and not be in a hurry

Thanks Everyone for the help though

gordon

You tilted the engine the wrong way. Here is a tutorial I posted on another site.

Remove the rear plug wires. Remove the ICM and set off out of the way. FYI, there are two hidden mounting bolts on the back of the ICM that require the Braille method to remove (don't drop 'em. They will fall into the cradle and are darn near impossible to find. Don't ask) Unclip the EVAP solenoid from the rear cam cover and move it out of the way. Open the hold down clip on the loom running along the rear cam cover. Once you have everything cleared out of the way, unplug the blower motor. Now remove the three bolts in the center of it. that will allow you to remove the inertial plate. That is the large black disc in the center. Once that is out, the armature will come out and then the 5 bolts around the perimeter (some of which need to be done by the Braille method with a 1/4" drive socket. That's the easy part. The new one has been redesigned and has to go in in one piece. You'll notice, it won't fit. There is not enough clearance between the rear cam cover and the firewall. Remove both torque struts (dog bones) and replace the left one (longer of the two) with a small (7") turnbuckle. Tighten up on the turn buckle and you should be able to rock the engine forward about an inch or so. That will give you just enough clearance to get it in but do not expect it to go without a fight. Now fight with that snake of a wire loom and pull it up enough so that you can get the blower somewhat into position with the loom behind the back end of the blower motor so as not to be in the way. Now wiggle, push, turn and curse the blower motor till it pops into place. You will need to use a little force and the cage as well as the housing will give a little so that is not a problem. Once it pops into place let out a loud YYYES. Once again use the Braille method to replace the lower of the three mounting bolts. Yes I said three. The new motor as I said is redesigned and only uses three. Don't forget to put the heat shield in place first or you'll have to take it apart and do it all over again. Don't ask me how I know. Now simply put everything back in place, remove the turnbuckle and replace the torque struts, wipe up the blood and finally clean and bandage your wounds.

The first time took me about 3 hrs. I did not rock the engine forward. I used a pry bar and forced it in place on the advice of a Cadillac mechanic. Big mistake. I obviously cracked the cage. It lasted 7 months and exploded about 2-3 weeks ago. I got it warrantied and this time I knocked it out in about half the time or better.

Good luck.

You tilted the engine the wrong way. Here is a tutorial I posted on another site.

Remove the rear plug wires. Remove the ICM and set off out of the way. FYI, there are two hidden mounting bolts on the back of the ICM that require the Braille method to remove (don't drop 'em. They will fall into the cradle and are darn near impossible to find. Don't ask) Unclip the EVAP solenoid from the rear cam cover and move it out of the way. Open the hold down clip on the loom running along the rear cam cover. Once you have everything cleared out of the way, unplug the blower motor. Now remove the three bolts in the center of it. that will allow you to remove the inertial plate. That is the large black disc in the center. Once that is out, the armature will come out and then the 5 bolts around the perimeter (some of which need to be done by the Braille method with a 1/4" drive socket. That's the easy part. The new one has been redesigned and has to go in in one piece. You'll notice, it won't fit. There is not enough clearance between the rear cam cover and the firewall. Remove both torque struts (dog bones) and replace the left one (longer of the two) with a small (7") turnbuckle. Tighten up on the turn buckle and you should be able to rock the engine forward about an inch or so. That will give you just enough clearance to get it in but do not expect it to go without a fight. Now fight with that snake of a wire loom and pull it up enough so that you can get the blower somewhat into position with the loom behind the back end of the blower motor so as not to be in the way. Now wiggle, push, turn and curse the blower motor till it pops into place. You will need to use a little force and the cage as well as the housing will give a little so that is not a problem. Once it pops into place let out a loud YYYES. Once again use the Braille method to replace the lower of the three mounting bolts. Yes I said three. The new motor as I said is redesigned and only uses three. Don't forget to put the heat shield in place first or you'll have to take it apart and do it all over again. Don't ask me how I know. Now simply put everything back in place, remove the turnbuckle and replace the torque struts, wipe up the blood and finally clean and bandage your wounds.

The first time took me about 3 hrs. I did not rock the engine forward. I used a pry bar and forced it in place on the advice of a Cadillac mechanic. Big mistake. I obviously cracked the cage. It lasted 7 months and exploded about 2-3 weeks ago. I got it warrantied and this time I knocked it out in about half the time or better.

Good luck.

==========================================

Well the wife took it to the pontiac dealer today they replaced it took them 1.5 hrs

what they did was drop the engine down and somehow i am told then tilted it forward

and it went right in i guess or at least i was told that

thanks

gordon

• 9 months later...

Good luck.

==========================================

Well the wife took it to the pontiac dealer today they replaced it took them 1.5 hrs

what they did was drop the engine down and somehow i am told then tilted it forward

and it went right in i guess or at least i was told that

thanks

gordon

Good luck.

========================================================

Well i had to replace the used blower motor today it was warmer than it was the last time

i tried the methods everyone on here said to use NO LUCK it just would not go in SO what i done was take a cutoff tool cut the top part of the blower fan housing and dropped it right in there i done this after 5 hrs of trying the turnbuckel deal BOTH ways i even tried using a cherry picker to move the engine out of the way the only way that booger would go in other than what i did was the way the dealer did it and that was to drop the engine down

But she,s in now and all sealed up at least and still in one piece too

gordon

Archived