CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 Deville Ignition Problem

Hey Everybody, I just joined and this is my first post; hope someone can offer some insight on my problem.

I just purchased a 2000 Deville base model and am having some problems...I haven't even put 10 miles on the car yet. First, let me provide a bit of background info...

The car has 129k and appears to have been very well maintained; spotless inside and out. At the time of purchase the speedometer speed sensor was faulty and the 'add coolant' message was coming up. This car has pretty much sat in a garage for about the last year.

I was driving along at about 30mph when I heard a 'clunk' come from under the hood. The car immediately started running very rough - missing and even backfiring. There was also a dramatic loss of power. I made it to a mechanic and he ran diagnostics and inspected the car. All he could come up with (besides the speed sensor) was that there was a spark plug boot that had deteriorated and there was a faulty rear ignition control module (also referred to it as a rear coil pack). He said it needed a general tune up as well. I read about 'limp home' mode from this site:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2002/us100232.htm

Another feature of the Northstar engines is a "limp home" mode that allows the engine to continue running if all the coolant is lost. If the PCM senses an overheating condition, it temporarily disables up to half of the cylinders. This pumps enough air though the engine to keep temperatures from getting hot enough to cause any damage.

and was wondering if the low coolant may actually be the culprit instead of the ignition control module. This mechanic wants over $700 for diagnostics/parts/labor to make all the repairs plus new plugs, fuel filter, air filter, pcv valve etc. If possible, I'd love to get by without having to shell out that much cash. If I am stuck having to repair the coil pack/ control module, is this a difficult job? I'm a decent shade tree mechanic but I've never touched a Cadillac engine. I don't want to screw anything up worse. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Nathan

Take care of the LOW COOLANT situation. Use a 50/50 mix of DexCool and distilled water in the reservoir inboard of the RF fender (pressure cap on top). Proper level is ~~ 2 to 3 inches below the filler neck.

As to the running rough etc, you need to display the stored trouble codes (DTC) and report the "P" codes in this thread. Here's how:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

The "clunk" you heard is a concern. Any way to determine what caused the noise??

:welcomesmiley:

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

All he could come up with (besides the speed sensor) was that there was a spark plug boot that had deteriorated and there was a faulty rear ignition control module (also referred to it as a rear coil pack).

It's technically called an "ignition cassette".

I appreciate the replies and advice...just got the car back from the shop. I'll obtain the codes and post back. For what it's worth, the ticket from the mechanic states:

MISFIRE ON #3, #7, #1, EVAP CODE PRESENT AND SPEED SENSOR CODE PRESENT

Edited to add:

OK, I managed to pull the following codes:

PCM

Current

-------------

P0300

P0443

P0502

History

--------------

P0503

P1359

P1360

The only other current code I got was:

IPM

B0429

There were quite a few history codes as well. I'm assuming that the history codes are the ghosts of troubles past...please correct me if I'm wrong. That's all I can come up with at this point. Once again, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Nathan

Got it done. This mechanic was going to charge $200 to do the same thing...I think not. That was honestly one of the easiest shade tree tasks I've encountered. I suppose the fact that the guy was going to charge so much was intimidating; the work certainly wasn't. Thank you to JimD and Ranger for the assist.

I hadn't thought much about it...seems like it should be worth something though. It'll probably become one of those things my wife keeps asking me about; "What is this? Didn't you fix that? Why do you keep these things?" etc, etc. ;)

I asked the question because I would enjoy doing an autopsy on your failed ignition module.

Based on what I read here and another Cadillac forum, ignition module failure on 2000+ model engines is not unusual.

Call me curious.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived