CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

There's some scratches etc. on the paintwork of my caddy, as well as some paint that has come off in the wheel arches.

So to prevent getting any rust in the arches I want to put some new paint on them, I also want to clean up a scrape on the front bumper. However there's also some scratches elsewhere on the vehicle and little nicks where the doors have been opened too quickly etc (caused by little old lady previous owner).

I've bought some touch up paint in a spray can to do the big things like the scrape on the bumper and the wheel arches, but would it be a better idea to get a detailing pen (or something else) for the scratches elsewhere? I don't want uneven lumps of paint on the body - I notice these things and they irritate me.

I'm sort of rambling a bit so let me restate my question: What's the best approach for dealing with scratches and nicks in the paintwork on the body of the car? (And is a spray can a good idea for sorting out scrapes and peeled paint?)

.... would it be a better idea to get a detailing pen (or something else) for the scratches elsewhere? I don't want uneven lumps of paint on the body - I notice these things and they irritate me.

I have had good results using 2000 grit sandpaper glued to the tip of a pencil eraser (use a hole punch to obtain a small circle of sandpaper) to rough up small stone chips and applying primer followed by color with a toothpick. Works for me on horizontal surfaces. Vertical surfaces require a little more effort.

Follow that with cautious sanding with 2000 grit wet paper and a sanding block followed by a generous coat of wax.

Maintain the work area as small as possible. Slower is better.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

All depends on what you want the final results to look like. A detailing pen will seal it, but will be noticeable, more so depending on the color. Spray is much more labor intensive and take a lot more care, patience and practice, but will look much better in the end (if done correctly).

Archived