CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

INstalling new radiator

I'll MAke this quick..I've got 128k on my 95 STS and am having coolant problems. My old rad cap was toast, so we put a hi pressire unit on it. Now my radiator is blown out and leaking thru all the actual fins, etc. ANy common problems this stems from, or do I just need a new radiator? ALso, it looks pretty simple to r&r the radiator myself..any hidden pains in this job? THANKS!!

It is fairly simple to change it out, just remember the Bars Leak Gold in the lower hose. Check with www.radiator.com for a good price on a new radiator. They quoted one at about $175.00. Cheapest I found was $250.00 at gmpartsdirect. Good Luck.

I'll MAke this quick..I've got 128k on my 95 STS and am having coolant problems. My old rad cap was toast, so we put a hi pressire unit on it. Now my radiator is blown out and leaking thru all the actual fins, etc. ANy common problems this stems from, or do I just need a new radiator? ALso, it looks pretty simple to r&r the radiator myself..any hidden pains in this job? THANKS!!

You might want to check a manual before you start pulling the radiator out. The last one that I did, and I believe it was a 95 STS, required evacuating the A/C before pulling it. The reason for this is the A/C condensor is bolted to the radiator in such a way that it's pretty much impossible to pull the rad without pulling the condensor with it. You then separate the condensor from the old radiator and re-attach it to the new radiator and install them as a unit. Maybe your's is different, hopefully for your sake...it is.

Ian

Archived