CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cloudy brake fluid - normal?

I just replaced a caliper and then bled and flushed the brake fluid. (I also did a complete brake flush several weeks ago).

I noticed that after one day, the brake fluid in the reservoir was now "cloudy". I used new, sealed bottles of fluid during the flush.

The best way to describe the fluid was that it looks like the Miso soup that you get as a precursor to a Japanese meal.

I used a turkey baster to suck some out and put it into a clear container. If I shake the container, the murkiness/cloudiness dissipates. It'll reappear after standing for about 15 minutes.

I think this might be the normal property of "hydroscopic" fluid. That it's water molecules held in suspension. What do you guys think?

As far as I know, brake fluid should be DOT-3, at least that is what's recommended in my owners manual for the '92 Seville SLS.

It should be clear to light amber in color.

Cloudiness might be a sign of moisture in the system.

If it were me, I would change it again being more careful to avoid air in the system and dampness, but that's me.

Brake fluid is inexpensive so it pays to change it.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Sounds like water contamination.

Irregardless I would flush the system completly and get clean fluid in right away. Brake fluid should not be cloudy at all.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Yeah, it's weird. I did use good clean new fluid (Castrol LMA).

Perhaps the water contamination was from old fluid in the ABS module. When I bleed the brakes, I can only change fluid in the reservoir, lines and caliper (94 STS). I know that for newer models you can use a TECH II (?) tool to force bleed the ABS unit, and then re-bleed the entire system again. (That's how to do it properly in my Jeep GC - bleed, then use tool to ABS bleed, then re-bleed).

I'll drive the vehicle for a week or so, engaging the ABS and traction control frequently, and then re-bleed the system to see if there is improvement.

Archived