CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Brake Warning Light Comes On

Marika

The brake warning light is starting to come on under hard acceleration. Any ideas?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Fluid level in the master cylinder getting low enough to operate the switch under high G launches?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I opened up the master cylinder and it was pretty low.

I bought some DOT-3 and added it and sure enough, the light went out.

Everything is bone dry under the car so I can't see anything leaking and the oil was changed about 2 weeks ago at which time myself and the mechanic did a thorough undercarriage inspection and we didn't see anything leaking.

I also noticed that the fluid was dark so I know it needs a complete change. The previous owner had no records on the car (it was his mother's car), so I'm thinking that it might not have been changed "in a while", or not at all (12 years old, OUCH).

Next Saturday, I'll have the mechanic change the fluid in the entire system at which time, if something is really wrong, it will show up and be repaired.

Thanks for the info!! :)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Normal brake pad wear could be the cause of brake fluid "loss" expect the fluid is still in the system.

Suppose your brake plumbing has a total capacity of 20 ounces (for discussion purposes only). With new brake pads and in-spec thickness rotors, the level of fluid in the master cylinder will be at the FULL mark, as designed, when there is 20 oz. of fluid in the system.

Now as the brake pads wear, the wheel cylinder piston moves closer and closer to the rotor because the pads are getting thinner and thinner. This occurs slowly over time and is normal. The pad is the intended point of wear.

The master cylinder is the highest point in the brake plumbing and gravity takes care of backfilling behind the piston with fluid as the pads wear. You still have 20 oz. of fluid, assuming no external leaks, but the level in the master cylinder is slowly dropping. Normal.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I didn't see any leakage, the car is bone dry underneath. I've noticed that the pedal is higher now that I added fluid. Next Saturday, the brake system will have a full inspection and the fluids drained and replaced.

Thanks for the info!!

Archived