CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

6th Caddy but still have a few questions

Bigshot

I have owned a '67 Convertible, '76 Seville, '78 Seville, '89 Brougham, '92 Coupe(spring ed) and now a 2000 SLS. Love the car, just traded a Benz for it and could not be happier with quality, ride, etc. I have surfed this and a few other sites and still have a few questions so here goes:

1) How do I bypass the 112mph limiter that I hit last night on Rt75?

2) Is there ANY way to install my new Alpine 9815 head unit in this beast. I do NOT have the Bose system, just the standard CD/cass unit. Will the speakers, amp(s), subwoofer work well?

3) Has anyone found a nice wood kit for it that covers what the factory cheesed out on? Most I see have the center console, etc....we already have that. I need the radio/A/C unit covers, door switches, headlight switch, info center switches, etc.

4)Rain sensor....any way to bypass or shut it off. Darn thing is annoying and basically ruins the intermittent feature....unless it is NOT raining of course.

5) ANY other tidbits of info to know like removing the MAF screens, adjusting something here and there, etc. On my TDI Jetta there is a ton of stuff that I had done to make it run better just with a laptop and a screwdriver, etc

Car has been in my possession 3 days and I just turned 35k. Thanks, Nick

Don't think you can bypass the speed limiter. Cars that came from the factory with Z rated tires are the only ones that don't have the limiter.

Installing the deck shouldn't be a problem.

A lot of places have the wood dash kit. I see them on Ebay regularly.

www.exoticwooddash.com or do a google search for cadillac wood dash kits.

The way i bypassed my rainsensor, was to get into an accident. Have the windshield replaced. And have the dealer not use the proper adhesive to put the rain sensor back on. There is a special kit to install one properly. I guess attempt to take off the sensor from the windshield (black box attached to the rear view mirror) and put back on using some type of generic adhesive.

As for tidbits of info. Not going to find many for the 98 and newer sevilles. Adding a Corsa exhaust and an performance air filter is the only thing that is really out there. Some people on this board have modified their air inlet box to be more open. There is a debate whether a K&N filter is any better than the regular paper filter. Some people have taken off the intake resonator and plugged the hole.

Personally, here is the mods i done on my 98 Sts

- Holley power shot air filter

-removed the intake resonator

-switched to Royal Purple Oil

-Optima yellow top battery

-pioneer in dash DVD player

How and where did you install your radio? I just paid $400 for this Alpine for X-mas and hate to see it sit on a shelf. Does your aftermarket sound as good or better than stocK? Does it run through the factory amp or bypass it? Any info would be great.

I am gonna leave her stock. Everything I read about mods does not seem worth the $$$ for 5hp, plus she is still under warranty for 15k miles.

Thanks for the tip on the wood dash. I have been searching E-Bay but nobody has what I want, nor do they return e-mails. I am in touch with B&I which is listed on this site but the rep aint too swift and can't seem to e-mail me the right stuff.

Have a nice weekend.

How and where did you install your radio? I just paid $400 for this Alpine for X-mas and hate to see it sit on a shelf. Does your aftermarket sound as good or better than stocK? Does it run through the factory amp or bypass it? Any info would be great.

Have a nice weekend.

Well, i have the Bose system in my car. And to my knowledge, the bose speakers have really weird ohms. So the factory amp was designed for those speakers. Initially we re-wired the speakers to run directly off the deck. The deck i have is the Pioneer AVX 7300 DVD/CD/VCD headunit and the Pioneer AVM P9000R A/V reciever. You can go in and tweak the settings, but no matter how you tweak it, it just doesn't sound as good as stock. Honestly it's kind of disappointing. However, there is a bose adapter out there that allows you to run an aftermarket deck using the factory amp and speakers. Although i do not have it installed in my car "yet" i am told that the sound is awesome. There is also a adapter that lets you use onstar again through the speakers. Don't have the particular part numbers at hand, but i will try and find them.

The deck i have is the Pioneer AVX 7300 DVD/CD/VCD headunit and the Pioneer AVM P9000R A/V reciever.

Do you have some sort of an adapter plate in the dash to fit a standard head unit in an odd-shaped area? Just curious because I've never seen one before for a 96+ car, nor have I even heard of someone making a custom one.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Thanks guys.....stereo is not worth the effort plus stock sounds darn good. i also just bought the wood kit that includes the stock radio and A/C controls so it will look better as well.

If anyone knows how to eliminate that rain sensor....I would be indebted to you greatly! B)

Do you have some sort of an adapter plate in the dash to fit a standard head unit in an odd-shaped area?  Just curious because I've never seen one before for a 96+ car, nor have I even heard of someone making a custom one.

The car audio shop i go to did find a plastic kit that fits the odd shaped hole. I don't have a digital camera, but when i get one, i'll try and post some pics.

Mine must not work properly. WHen I set the wipers to intermittent and all the way slow, even in the slightest drizzle she will kick into the on position. If it starts to rain a tad harder it kicks it into the high speed mode which makes me nauseus.....literally. When I look at the sensor it has some gunky glue on it, maybe somebody put it on wrong. If it is working properly, what a crappy design and I would like to shut it off. My car is still under warranty, I will have them check it out.

The car audio shop i go to did find a plastic kit that fits the odd shaped hole. I don't have a digital camera, but when i get one, i'll try and post some pics.

Sure, I'd like to see it, just out of curiousity! I've never seen an adapter kit before.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived