CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

p0300 but which cylinder is misfiring?

Darren

96 STS with 82K. Engine misfiring and service engine light blinking. I pulled the codes and got a p0300 current. Is there a way to dig deeper into the diagnostics and tell which cylinder is misfiring? Or, is there a way to determine which coil is causing the problem? 6000 miles ago, the dealer replaced all plugs and wires and 1 coil because of the same symptoms. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Darren

You can check the coils by process of elimination. Swap a coil with a known good coil. If misfire does not clear up, move to the next one. If you find one that clears up the misfire, obviously that is the bad coil. If it doesn't clear up, then you have eliminated the possibility that it is a coil, which would then point to wires or plugs. I am not sure if the diagnostics will tell you which cylinder is misfiring without checking the manual (I am at work), but you could pull the plug wires one by one and see if one of them does NOT make a difference in the idle. That would be the bad cylinder.

Larry,

Thanks for hte quick reply. The more I thought about this problem, the more I realize that with the OBDII, it is just detecting the mis-fire, if it knew the cylinder it would throw a code to that cylinder. (like a p0301 for cylinder #1) I am going to try a another test in the morning. It may be a vacuum leak....I will keep posting.....

Darren

Darren:

You guessed correct. P0301 is cylinder 1 misfire; P0312 is cylinder 12 misfire and so on....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Looks like the "P" group planning committee was building in some optimism back there in the '94 - '95 period prior to OBDII implementation.

Don't we have 10 cylinder iron on the road today?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived