CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

no reverse lockout?!?!

rjhat

i noticed today that my caddy will shift into reverse even while moving foward. i was only going 2 or 3 mph in the daycare parking lot when i accidently put it in reverse. i immediately corrected it but not before the car jerked. im just glad i wasnt going 75 on the freeway! anyone seen this?

Sure -- as long as you depress the button, you can shift it into any gear you want to -- and at any speed. There's an electronic lockout for the lower gears (like 1st), so if you pull it down there but you're going too fast and the engine would overrev, it won't downshift until you slow down enough. Apparently, there's no electronic lockout for Reverse, I'm sure because that's a different action for the transmission (shifting from a forward gear to a reverse gear) and there's not a way to isolate that easily from the physical gear shift? The same goes for Park -- I bet you could slam it into Park at highway speed and really screw things up.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

im just amazed that it would be so easy to tear the transmission out of a cadillac

It's just as easy as it is to drive it into a lake or into a concrete barrier. :)

I bet you could slam it into Park at highway speed and really screw things up.

No, it shouldn't hurt anything; the parking pawl won't engage above 5 or so mph.

No, it shouldn't hurt anything; the parking pawl won't engage above 5 or so mph.

Just figured that out on the government Ford truck yesterday...was moving forward and went to put it into reverse real quick and moved it all the way to Park and the think just ZINGGED at me...the pawl was clicking away, but not engaging. :) I never tried it on the Caddy. Good to know it wouldn't hurt a thing...as if I'd ever try such a maneuver. :)

Archived