CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Convert from gasoline to CNG

I have a 95 SLS with the northstar motor. It has 317,000 miles on it and still drives like a dream. My question is, how difficult would it be to change the car over to run compressed natural gas? From what I have read, motors last longer and burn cleaner with CNG. Also I have read that it is cheaper to burn CNG then gasoline or propane.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Not sure on the costs of install and such, but you have to make sure that CNG filling stations are nearby your area. There isn't many of them around where I live except in very limited stations.

Jeff

Installation costs around $5K. You're better off buying a new car with it since you can write it off as a tax deduction. Another inconvenience is that it takes 20 min to fill up to about 70%. The closer you get to filling it up, the slower it is because the pressure builds.

IPB Image

My cousin did a conversion long ago. He had nothing but problems, regarding reliability, etc. Also, the engine will feel noticeably less powerful after the conversion. My cousin doesn't recommend it. He couldn't wait to sell the vehicle and took a significant loss on it.

Archived