CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Still smokin'... -96 SLS

Howyadoin,

I've been having a problem with oil smoke in my exhaust for a week or two. I took the car for a decarbonization run (2nd gear banzai X 10), and it seemed to go away. A few days later, it came back. :( I tried buzzing the engine again, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

The symptoms:

Only happens when accelerating from a stop after sitting for 2 minutes or so.

Doesn't smoke at idle.

Doesn't smoke at startup.

No smoke in engine compartment.

I'm going to try an oil additive and see if that helps, any other suggestions? Is it possible that what I'm seeing isn't oil? It's not white smoke like a coolant leak.

HELP!!! :o

-Rav

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

Howyadoin,

Leaky valve seals would cause smoke at startup, no? I'm not seeing that. I agree with you that I've never heard of issues with valve seals on the Northstar.

I'm thinking ring problems, myself. Would a compression test reveal anything? There's no indication of loss of power, acceleration is strong, and the idle is very smooth, no clattering or loping. But when I leave a light after idling for a minute or two, she lays down a small-to-medium smokescreen behind. Not quite billowing clouds of smoke, but enough to be a concern. I'm sure it'll get worse before it gets better :(

-Rav

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

Try temporarily pulling out the PCV and letting it just set where it can't pull out crankcase air.

Go for a normal drive and see if it stops the problem.

If the PCV is faulty or the wrong one it may be sucking way to much on the crankcase and pulling out oil instead of "air".

Make sure the crankcase air intake is also able to flow freely.

(The tube located on the foreward side of the engine the goes to the intake snorkel.)

Don't forget to plug in or replace the PCV after testing.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Archived