CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

DVD Navigation

chig

Hi All,

My 99 STS is a late model, and hasn't got the in dash DVD Nav.

I would presume that Cadillac would use one wiring harness for each model to save money.

What are the odds of finding a DVD Nav unit and installing it? I have GM Techline for 96-2003, so schematics aren't a problem.

Of course I don't know what I'm looking at now, but as necessity is the mother of invention, I'll figure it out, if it is feasable.

Thanks again

chig,

I covered this subject on the old message board almost a year ago. Unfortunately, none of those posts made it into the archive for the old board. So, the following is from my personal memory:

A guy named "Frank" owned a '01 STS equipped with the Bose cassette/CD radio. He was interested in replacing the existing radio with the DVD navigation radio used in '02+ Sevilles and Devilles. I think he had gotten confused in comparing the service manuals' wiring drawings, but I studied the situation and determined that the DVD unit would connect in place of the existing radio and operate with the following additional changes:

1) The vehicle speed signal (4000 pulses per mile, or 4KPPM) would need to be added to the radio wiring harness connector; the only logical source for this signal would be to "tap in" to the appropriate wire at the instrument cluster.

2) The console-mounted CD changer would have to be changed to the style used in '02+ Sevilles and Devilles. Although the "old" and "new" changers are essentially identical, the means by which they communicate with the radio changed in model year '02; prior to '02, the changer used the Entertainment & Comfort (E&C) network, but in '02 the changer was added to the Class 2 network, which connected almost all other electronic modules in the vehicle. In addition to swapping the changers, the E&C wire at the changer wiring harness connector would have to changed to a Class 2 wire, which could be "tapped in" to the existing Class 2 wiring at the radio or HVAC control module.

3) The DVD unit requires a dedicated GPS antenna, separate from the one used by the OnStar system. The GPS antenna is designed to be mounted in the instrument panel and connect to a special connector on the rear of the DVD unit. (The same company (DENSO) supplies both the DVD unit and the GPS antenna to GM, but perhaps any "brand X" GPS antenna could be made to work.)

The cost of the DVD unit is very high (if purchased new) -- the best price that I could find (from gmpartsdirect.com) was ~$3000 (including shipping). I figure a new Class 2 CD changer would be ~$400, and ~$150 for the GPS antenna.

Installation would require disassembly of the top of the instrument panel and most of the console, and familiarity with GM wiring harness service procedures.

Keep in mind that all of the work described above is based only on my review of some GM source information and my knowledge working on GM vehicles. I have never performed this installation, and I do not know anyone who has successfully done the job. I actually discouraged "Frank" from pursuing this change in his '01 STS because, in my opinion, the extensive labor and the expense involved did not justify the outcome -- I think it would be much more sensible to simply "trade up" to a '02+ STS with the factory-installed DVD system. In spite of my misgivings, "Frank" still seemd determined to go forward with the change, but I have no idea if he ever actually did it, or what unforseen problems he may have encountered.

If you decide to go ahead with this change on your '99 STS, please keep me informed of your results.

PS - One thing that I just thought of, something that hadn't occurred to me during my past dealings with "Frank", is that changing to the '02+ DVD unit would allow for the installation of a factory-style XM Radio receiver, the audio output from which is "spliced in" at the CD changer, which would have to be changed anyway, for the reasons described above. The factory-installed XM receiver is mounted in the left side of the trunk area, but could really be mounted anywhere there was "packaging space" available. Although the factory-style XM antenna requires that a hole be drilled in the roof, the receiver should be functional with any aftermarket "two-cable" XM antenna. One of the advantages of this "factory" XM Radio installation is the ability to control the XM tuner through the factory radio controls, and to display the XM tuner information (channel name, song title, artist information, etc.) on the radio display. (This information is "broadcast" over the Class 2 network to the radio.) Since the factory XM receiver's audio output is directly wired to the factory radio's "auxiliary audio" inputs, there is no need to use an FM modulator (or a cassette adaptor), as would be required with an aftermarket XM receiver.

I use Delorme software and their Earthmate GPS receiver on my laptops (about $150 total). This system is loaded with features, with saved maps, points of interest, fuel stop calcs etc. However, positioning the screen for only the driver, can be a legal-safety problem.

I also have an iPaq 3850 with a Navman sleeve and its own software (about $300 for the Navman). It has fewer features, but has clear mapss, good voice directions and secures to the windshield or dash near line of sight.

I do not know how the factory GPS products have their maps or software features routinely updated. Get a CD maybe, but at what cost?

Good luck

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Archived