CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

P1381 - Misfire Detected

MIke D

Some may remember my original issue with a rough running engine. For those who don"t PO300 and PO404 is where it's at...

New twist. The car has been getting better all on it's own then Wham... back down to running rough again... Then it's better.... Then it's not... Well today I got a P1381.... This is wierd because it was running good today. Still backfires randomly into the intake. usually up hill while trying to accelerate but sometime as soon as i touch the gas coming off a stop. I'm about to get into the books again. I was about to just change the cam and crank sensor for the hell of it.. but this gives me a new path to go on...

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Your P1381 could be a fluke. It might be worth your time and labor to do some carefull connector cleaning.

I would use some contact cleaner plus a close visual inspection on the crankshaft position sensor connectors, camshaft position sensor connector, EBTCM connector, and PCM connectors before throwing any parts at the problem.

Your backfiring is certainly spark timing related.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Some may remember my original issue with a rough running engine. For those who don"t PO300 and PO404 is where it's at...

New twist. The car has been getting better all on it's own then Wham... back down to running rough again... Then it's better.... Then it's not... Well today I got a P1381.... This is wierd because it was running good today. Still backfires randomly into the intake. usually up hill while trying to accelerate but sometime as soon as i touch the gas coming off a stop. I'm about to get into the books again. I was about to just change the cam and crank sensor for the hell of it.. but this gives me a new path to go on...

Back in the days of carburetors, (I'm dating myself here) this situation would be called a "lean pop". This was usually caused by a leaking intake or carburetor base gasket.

A gasket leak by one of the intake runners on a N* could, in theory, cause a similar lean condition.

It is simply a condition of having too much air for the amount of fuel in a cylinder.

Under these conditions, an engine would run fine until it was placed under an increased load. Your accelerating up a hill or away from a stop fits that scenario.

If all else fails, it would be a simple thing to remove the N* intake to check the gaskets.

Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

Archived