CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

new car... to me anyways 98 sts

Hey so I bought a 98 sts traded in my 94 for it, it only has 85,000 miles on it cars in fairly good shape just needs some tlc, one thing is Im getting the code p0155 which according to this I think means an oxygen sensor? only thing is the cars not showing any symptoms which I thought it would. Where is the sensor located and am I looking at a DIY job? Is there much point in fixing it if it doesn't show any symptoms? I did clear the code but it came back after a day or two.

P0155 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 2 Sensor 1

Bank two is the front bank and sensor 1 is visible under the hood just inboard of and below the water pump.

I am 350 miles away from my schematic diagrams and cannot tell you how the heater circuit is fused. But if a fuse is not the problem, a dirty connector or damaged wire harness could be the culprit.

It would be a toss up for a sensor replacement since the heaters simply assist in getting the O2 sensors up to the operating range as soon as possible.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Hey so I bought a 98 sts traded in my 94 for it, it only has 85,000 miles on it cars in fairly good shape just needs some tlc, one thing is Im getting the code p0155 which according to this I think means an oxygen sensor? only thing is the cars not showing any symptoms which I thought it would. Where is the sensor located and am I looking at a DIY job? Is there much point in fixing it if it doesn't show any symptoms? I did clear the code but it came back after a day or two.

Sts_Driver,

You might not notice any symptoms, but since this is one of the primary measurement devices, (upon which a LOT else depends), the performance and mileage could both be suffering a bit.

I believe, these engines use an oxygen sensor at each exhaust manifod another ahead of the catalytic convertor. The parts are are relatively cheap, but the install may be tight and being an exhaust part - tough to break loose.

Good luck,

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

P0155 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 2 Sensor 1

Bank two is the front bank and sensor 1 is visible under the hood just inboard of and below the water pump.

I am 350 miles away from my schematic diagrams and cannot tell you how the heater circuit is fused. But if a fuse is not the problem, a dirty connector or damaged wire harness could be the culprit.

It would be a toss up for a sensor replacement since the heaters simply assist in getting the O2 sensors up to the operating range as soon as possible.

Alright I will try to have a look at that tonight I am at work now, I wish you had those diagrams it would make it easier to no what i am looking at under there :lol: Thanks.

Alright I will try to have a look at that tonight I am at work now, I wish you had those diagrams it would make it easier to no what i am looking at under there :lol: Thanks.

I'm back to within 20 paces of my schematic diagrams!! Florida is fun and weddings are fun but home is home.

Bank 2 sensor 1 heater is protected by a 10A fuse labeled as "OXY SEN A" in the underhood fuse/relay box

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

• 1 month later...

I'm back to within 20 paces of my schematic diagrams!! Florida is fun and weddings are fun but home is home.

Bank 2 sensor 1 heater is protected by a 10A fuse labeled as "OXY SEN A" in the underhood fuse/relay box

Hey Jim me again just wondering if you have those diagrams yet I still have not gotten time to fix the problem i have had a busy summer with work and everything else. I am on holidays next week and would like to get this problem fixed. I am getting terrible gas mileage i am averageing 13.5 miles per gallon mostly city but with gas prices it gets expensive. any help would be very appriciated

Happy to help. But I will not have full time internet access between Friday morning (8/1) and Monday afternoon (8/4).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I am getting terrible gas mileage i am averageing 13.5 miles per gallon mostly city but with gas prices it gets expensive. any help would be very appriciated

Just out of curiousity, what is your average MPH? If you are doing a lot of stop and go and not any highway miles, that mileage may be correct, but I'm sure the O2 sensor has something to do with it too.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

I am getting terrible gas mileage i am averageing 13.5 miles per gallon mostly city but with gas prices it gets expensive. any help would be very appriciated

Just out of curiousity, what is your average MPH? If you are doing a lot of stop and go and not any highway miles, that mileage may be correct, but I'm sure the O2 sensor has something to do with it too.

my average mph is at 29.5 I do relize that any big car with a v8 is going to get somewhat bad miledge with city driving it just seems to be useing up alot more fuel than my old 94, i used to average about 15-16. I really can't get over the miledge these cars can get on a 1500 mile highway trip my 94 could get better gas miledge than my dads 2001 grand am. I did replace the air filter in this car it has helped some. I was told by the gm mechanic that was doing my coolent flush for me that the o2 sensor could make a difference of 3 or 4 mpg which would be great.

Archived