CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Service Ride Control on 1994 Eldorado Touring

Does anyone know where to get a used ride control sensor for the left front on a 1994 Eldo touring? I think any corner will work, you just have to change the mounting bracket. I know it's the left front because I switched it to the right front and the RSS error code moved to the right front. I had to swap the brackets. The Caddy dealer can get the part but it's $451.00. A Cadillac Seville would be the same too. I think only some of the 1994's had RSS.(Road sensing suspension). This sensor is the rectangular shaped one, about 4 In. tall, 1 in. thick, and 2 in. wide. It is mounted right next to the strut. If anyone needs help reading the error codes from the instrument panel, I can help. Reply to swammijack@hotmail.com or on the forum.

I believe you are talking about the accelerometer (as opposed to a position sensor). They (all 4) are interchangeable and can be had for cheap at local junk yards. Easy to remove. Corrosion is the number one killer of these (i.e., rusting through the metal case). RSS of this type in this year was on Eldorado and Seville models. Codes S070-S077 give away accelerometer faults/shorts. Do it yourself by going to a pick-a-part salvage yard and get an extra one for about $5/piece. These usually list for about $115 new. Position sensors are around $400 new. Attached are pictures of each. Good luck.

post-5421-1212293105_thumb.jpg

post-5421-1212293112_thumb.jpg

If it's a failed position sensor, I developed a "cheat" circuit you can install in the old

sensor to keep the computer satisfied.

I've done this to both my front position sensors several years ago, and have not had a

problem since.

Regards, Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

I believe you are talking about the accelerometer (as opposed to a position sensor). They (all 4) are interchangeable and can be had for cheap at local junk yards. Easy to remove. Corrosion is the number one killer of these (i.e., rusting through the metal case). RSS of this type in this year was on Eldorado and Seville models. Codes S070-S077 give away accelerometer faults/shorts. Do it yourself by going to a pick-a-part salvage yard and get an extra one for about $5/piece. These usually list for about $115 new. Position sensors are around $400 new. Attached are pictures of each. Good luck.

No, my1994 Eldo does not have accelerometers. It is the position sensor that has failed. I haven't been able to find a position sensor of this type in local junk yards.

If it's a failed position sensor, I developed a "cheat" circuit you can install in the old

sensor to keep the computer satisfied.

I've done this to both my front position sensors several years ago, and have not had a

problem since.

Regards, Barry

Yes, it is a failed position sensor. I swapped it to the other side and the error code moved to that side. Could you send me the "cheat circuit". I haven't been able to find a used sensor in any of our local wrecking yards. A new one is $451.00. I am in Redmond, Wa. swammijack@hotmail.com

There are three wires to the sensor.

The sensor has a "supply" voltage, usually 8V DC.

The sensor has a ground wire.

The sensor has a "signal" output back to the computer.

When the signal goes outside of it's operating range (Operating Range 0 - 5V), the computer

will report a fault with that sensor.

The front position sensors work on an output signal of 0 - 5V, where 2.5V is the "normal"

output for the sensor when you are driving normal on a flat road.

What you need to do is to provide a constant 2.5v voltage to the "signal" line of the sensor.

The computer will think you're driving on flat level road. (forever)

You do this by removing the sensor from the car and removing the clear "filler" that covers

the circuit card in the sensor. I used a sharpened popsicle stick. (Didn't want to destroy anything by using a metal object)

Expose the three wires entering the sensor.(On the front Position sensors, Purple=8V, Black=Ground, Orange=Signal back to the computer.

Cut them from the circuit card.

Attach one end of a 220 Ohm 1/4 watt resistor to the Purple=8V wire.

Attach the other end of the resistor to the Orange=Signal wire.

Also attach a Zener Diode (2.5V rating) to the Orange=Signal wire, and the other end to Black=ground.

(Resistor & Zener Diode available from a electronics store, eg. Radio Shack)

This will provide a constant 2.5V reference to the computer.

(After you have tested it.)

Reseal the sensor with lots of RTV to provide a water/weather tight area of the repair.

The computer will never complain again about the sensor.

You need a little understanding of soldering wires.

Good Luck.

If you have questions, just let me know. .... Barry

rss_sensor.jpg

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

When the signal goes outside of it's operating range (Operating Range 0 - 5V), the computer

The front position sensors work on an output signal of 0 - 5V, where 2.5V is the "normal"

What you need to do is to provide a constant 2.5v voltage to the "signal" line of the sensor.

You do this by removing the sensor from the car and removing the clear "filler" that covers

the circuit card in the sensor. I used a sharpened popsicle stick. (Didn't want to destroy anything by using a metal object)

Expose the three wires entering the sensor.(On the front Position sensors, Purple=8V, Black=Ground, Orange=Signal back to the computer.

Also attach a Zener Diode (2.5V rating) to the Orange=Signal wire, and the other end to Black=ground.

Reseal the sensor with lots of RTV to provide a water/weather tight area of the repair.

Good Luck.

rss_sensor.jpg

Good Luck.

rss_sensor.jpg

Good Luck.

rss_sensor.jpg

Thanks Barry, I'll try the "cheat" if I can't find a used sensor. The car runs fine, I'm going to sell it soon. I don't want to have the error code on when I sell. The car is otherwise perfect, only 75000 miles. I just have too many cars right now. swammijack@hotmail.com

• 4 years later...

i have a 1994 eldorado and the wiring thats on your diagram on your posts is not the same as mine. i was wondering if anyone could help? mine has 4 wires orange, black, green, and red. all help would be appreciated. thanks!

i have a 1994 eldorado and the wiring thats on your diagram on your posts is not the same as mine. i was wondering if anyone could help? mine has 4 wires orange, black, green, and red. all help would be appreciated. thanks!

I assume you are referring to the front position sensors. If so it would appear that the '94 Eldorado wiring is different than the '94 STS. I sold my '94 a few years ago and the servive manuals went with it as well. I do find it odd that it is different, however, I'm sure the circuitary and sensor for the Eldorado would be the same. If you can get access to an Eldorado service manual, and cross reference the signals in my diagram to the color of your wires, you should be able to build the circuit.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Archived