CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dead speakers...

MIke D

My right front door speaker (99 sts w/ bose) is dead (it is plugged in at the door at the speaker and the white control box mounted to the door) and my left front sometimes will sound blown at all volumes and sometimes sounds great. It's almost like one day it works and the next it wont. But I never have it come and go on one ride. Any ideas?

Thanks again, Mike D

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Here's what I would do.

Carefully inspect the connector pins at both door modules. You are looking for corrosion and/or possible sloppy loose connector pins or sockets.

Remove one of the spade lugs from each door speaker and measure the DC resistance of the speaker coils with an Ohmeter. Expect to see a very low resistance value; but an "open" condition will be a clue. Compare the Ohmeter values from side to side.

Measure the AC voltage delivered to the speaker terminals (from the amplifier) with the sound system ON and producing some heavy volume tunes. Compare the voltage readings from door to door.

Some clues should emerge.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The "Bose" system uses ultra low impedance speakers with amplifiers mounted on the rear of the speaker compartment. High power signals capable of driving an ordinary speaker never arrive at your door speakers.

Instead, a lower power signal is sent to the Bose speaker unit. An amplifier mounted on the rear of the Bose speaker gets the real work done.

The left and right speaker amplifiers require power and are fused separately. Should you lose either the left or right side, its time to look for a bad fuse.

Failure of an individual speaker unit, absent a failure in a same sided speaker unit, is likely an indication that unit is history.

The two most likely failure modes are a bad speaker or bad electrolytic capacitors on the driver amplifier board in the speaker housing.

For starters, here's a place to look:

http://www.carstereohelp.com/

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Time to go buy a multi meter! I needed it last week and here I need one again. So where are the fuses located for the amp? Under the hood? Under the seat?

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

There are two fuses located under the rear seat; one is a 15A labeled as "AUDIO" which protects the head unit and the second is a 30A labeled as "AUDIO AMP" which protects the multi-channel amplifier.

If/when it comes time to buy replacement parts, you will want to know the RPO code (on a sticker on the bottom surface of the spare tire cover).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I guess I misunderstood one of the previous posts. I thought there was a fuse per speaker. Off to the store to buy a multi meter... Wish me luck!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

So my right front speaker has zero resistance my left front is like 1.2 ohms so I assume that the left speaker is dead.... Anyone know the actual model number of the speaker?

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

That might be the case for other years-models but not your '99 Seville.

CORRECT, my bad.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

So my right front speaker has zero resistance my left front is like 1.2 ohms so I assume that the left speaker is dead.... Anyone know the actual model number of the speaker?

1.2 ohms is 'like' the correct reading on your left front speaker. Zero ohms on your right front speaker indicates a Kentucky-well-fried-speaker or shorted wiring/amplifier.

Here's a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that might interest you.

Regards,

Warren

1999Speakers.pdf

Posted Image

Sounds like I fit that TSB... Good thing my dad can get new ones cheap.... Now time to figure out why my "miss" is back!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Archived