CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission limp home mode

rmac-etc

I had the experience of driving home in 2nd gear due to the tranny going into 'limp home' mode (95 etc 135K mi). In other posts describing this scenario the codes apparently reported bad shift solenoid problems, p028 ad p028 I believe.

My code was :

P056 (E056) ....................................... Transmission Input Speed Sensor

This suggests a far more difficult and expensive fix (ie thousands). I however, replaced the shift solenoids in hopes that this much simpler and less expensive procedure may be the real problem.

It seems that it was only the solenoids, a messy and dificult driveway fix, but < $100 in parts and it seems that was it.

Just wanted to report that the solenoids can look like a bigger problem.

I did not notice any obvious physical failure of the solenoids. I was not looking for any, and did not inspect them closely, so not sure of what the problem was (esp since they flew off onto the back yard when the clips were released) ... have seen a p039 code today also (history-torque converter cluch engagement) issue. I am not certain this is new though, cause I have not over time monitored codes. I usually just connect viscerally and feel and hear when something is not right.

It was history, but didn't see it yesterday. Hope that it will be nominal in significance.

Thanks Bbobynski, as always for the input.

Will post if anything pertainent happens.

(esp since they flew off onto the back yard when the clips were released)

Strange statement, the solenoids are encased in the valve body, therefore they will not "fly" when the clips are released. Also, they are at least the size of a matchbox, I would not not expect them to 'fly" under any circumstances. Are you sure you know what the shift solenoids are ???

(esp since they flew off onto the back yard when the clips were released)

Strange statement, the solenoids are encased in the valve body, therefore they will not "fly" when the clips are released. Also, they are at least the size of a matchbox, I would not not expect them to 'fly" under any circumstances. Are you sure you know what the shift solenoids are ???

Howyadoin,

The springs sure do fly off!! My mechanic and I spent a half-hour looking for one that went for a unscheduled flight across the garage... Got the lil' bastidge though :)

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

Yes, you got that right, the clips can fly, I read up and saw that posted several times, so when I did my solenoids, I put a cloth over my hands to catch them if they tried to escape.

John

John

WillyHank wrote:

"Strange statement, the solenoids are encased in the valve body, therefore they will not "fly" when the clips are released. Also, they are at least the size of a matchbox, I would not not expect them to 'fly" under any circumstances. Are you sure you know what the shift solenoids are ??? "

Having successfully replaced them, yes I think I know what they are! And I thanked you for the procedure "http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1506&view=findpost&p=11262". They are not encased, they are clipped in. And YES they did pop out when the clips released them. Something in the valve body is spring loaded (I presume) against them and I pushed the new ones in against whatever it was.

I have done a lot of serious repair work over the past 35 years, including a couple of engine rebuilds, but I have never opened up an automatic trans so until buying the replacement parts I did not know what the solenoids looked like. After opening the trans up, and dropping the valve body (also something I did not know what looked like), I found the the solenoids (little bigger than a matchbox).

The transmission is now working. Thank you, again.

Archived