CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Yikes! Busted my TPS on 95 Deville 4.9

kad3338

I put a new EGR valve on today and managed to bust off the Throttle Position Sensor. So went & got new one, installed and now car runs just in 1st and second gear, codes P021, P022 and P70 are current so I must have screwed up the install. Does anyone have experience installing a new TPS? I've tried several positions with it, sometimes car stalls, other times it seems to run ok but can't get rid of codes and still won't get above 2nd gear. Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken there is a sequence of tasks that involve a volt / ohm meter to set the TPS correctly. Look at these links, they explain the generic process. Sorry i don't have the specifics for your engine, but I'm sure someone else will chime in.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/maintenance/TPS.html

http://www.automedia.com/Throttle_Position...ccr20040701ts/1

If I'm not mistaken there is a sequence of tasks that involve a volt / ohm meter to set the TPS correctly. Look at these links, they explain the generic process. Sorry i don't have the specifics for your engine, but I'm sure someone else will chime in.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/maintenance/TPS.html

http://www.automedia.com/Throttle_Position...ccr20040701ts/1

Well, today I played around with taking voltage readings from the new TPS, can't seem to get it in the range my Hayes book suggests, it seems to be reading lower voltage. Still getting the same codes for TPS fault, P015, P021, P055 & P022 intermitantly. I'm about at wits end with this thing, really don't want to call Stealership! Also checked all fuses which are ok. Any one have any ideas? Thanks,

Did you clear the codes and they return or are you setting the TPS with the codes in place? Could be your new sensor is bad or you have a bad connection. Just a thought.

Did you clear the codes and they return or are you setting the TPS with the codes in place? Could be your new sensor is bad or you have a bad connection. Just a thought.

Yes, cleared codes several times and still get the new ones. I also went to bone yard and pulled OEM TPS out of a cherry lookin 4.9. Hell, maybe I ought to try swapping throttle bodies with TPS intact at this point. I just don't understand what's wrong with this. I'm measuring about .25 volts but per Hayes directions should be about .50. Time for a beer.

Have been here before ...don't know if you have tried these.

Have you checked the alignment of the tang on the throttle body to see if it lines up with the lever on the TBS. The throttle body plates have to be in the full closed position.

Possible the throttle cable or IAC is hanging up?

What are your RPMs once the car is warmed up?

Have been here before ...don't know if you have tried these.

Have you checked the alignment of the tang on the throttle body to see if it lines up with the lever on the TBS. The throttle body plates have to be in the full closed position.

Possible the throttle cable or IAC is hanging up?

What are your RPMs once the car is warmed up?

Yes, throttle body plates are fully closed and ISC is set to min idle. I'm just not seeing the proper voltage (.45 - .55 according to hayes manual) when probing the electrical wires and turning the sensor (key on, motor off). i had just replaced the EGR valve prior to this, don't know if that has anything to do with it as all codes are TPS related. Thinkin I might try changing out TB with one from bone yard before visiting stealership. 4.9's o'plenty here.

what range of voltage are you seeing? 0 to .25?

Yes, right about .25 tops, any ideas?

Would anyone know possible reasons for low voltage reading for a throttle position sensor on 4.9? I'm only reading about .25 max volts and manual says this should be about twice that. I've tried turning the sensor while taking a reading but no won't go higher. Got me jinxed.

I would return the sensor and try another one maybe another brand.

Can you think of anything else you moved or disconncted hile replacing the EGR?

Come to think, I believe I touched the two of the connector wires together during installation, maybe shorting the TPS out? That might explain the code 21 - shorted TPS, duh. I'll try installing a new TPS this weekend and try to be more careful!

Archived