CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Update decreasing MPG

careldo

MAYBE I WASN'T TO CLEAR BUT I HAVE DROPPED TO 12 MPG FROM 19-20 MPG IN SEPTEMBER .I DRIVE 90% ON HIGHWAY I THINK MY MPG'S IS PATHETIC.TRUE IT IS COLD IN MY PARTS BUT THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON SINCE SEPTEMBER WHICH BY THE WAY FORGOT TO MENTION IN MY PREVIOUS POST BUT NONETHELESS I AM STILL SEEING A SLOW AND STEADY DECREASE.I HAVE ALSO CHECKED FOR CODES AND NONE SO FAR I WONDER IF MY OXYGEN SENSOR ARE FAILING AND NOT SET THE CODES.)

i have checked everthing suggested by all members and have come with this.Fuel pressure key on engine off 38 PSI engine running 25 PSI good or not?

exhaust fumes have been pretty raunchy since september cat as suggested by Bruce and Dloch?how does one check a cat? FPR not leaking checked using correct method -brakes not binding-a bit cooler than usaully but this is an old problem since September.No codes present - can i monitor 02 sensors while driving and can 02 sensors fail and not set a code?

Any more help is well apprecaited to solve this mystery.

careldo

Check the FPR by pulling the vacuum hose of with the key on so the fuel system is pressurized. If there is fuel leaking out of the nipple it is bad and raw unmetered fuel is being sucked into the manufold and running rich.

Yup, that raunchy stink is excess fuel being burned. I cured that in a Fiero I had by replacing the oxygen sensor. Remember there are two on our 4.9's.

Are you getting any codes or service light? My '95 allows me to monitor the action of the O2 sensor on the dash panel. If you can do that on your '92 it would answer that question.

Larry's suggestion of the FPR is also a good one.

Archived