CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Not a caddy

Hey, I have a question about this cheap little daewoo I bought. I was comin back from about an hours trip at 70ish when I noticed my car was over heating... needle wes pegged at H. As soon as I pulled over the oil temp light came on. I killed the engine and waited about 40 minutes before I turned it back on, temp was good. It was too dark to see anything so I waited till morning to look it over. My coolant reservoir was completely bone dry and smelled like gas rich exhaust. When I started the car after refilling it it seemed ok until it got up to temp again, and it started misfiring and I got this sweet smell... I looked at the tailpipe and puffs of white smoke. Apparantly I was burning coolant... a condition that did not exist before yesterday. I pulled the plugs and #4 was covered in oil. When I pull the dipstick when the engine is up to temp there smoke/steam coming out of the tube and the oil level is higher that it used to be and it looks like chocolate syrup... it only has about 2k miles on it. Does this appear to be a blown gasket or something more serious? If it is a gasket will the head need to be machined when I replace it? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I bought the car from my sisters bf for 200 bucks. Apparantly the timing belt broke and self destructed the engine about a year and a half ago. The motor was rebuilt.

Over heating, sweet smelling, white "smoke", milky oil, Using coolant, steam from the crankcase. All pretty damning evidence. I think it is a pretty safe bet. Hard to say if the head will have to be machined or not. All depends on how hot it got. You'll have to check it for warping.

Once I remove the head how can I see if its warped without sending it to a machine shop? I would assume something along the lines of puting a straight edge at various points on the mounting surface and trying to pass a piece of paper or something under it.. would that work?

Archived