CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

how to replace steering wheel controls

daniel812

I have a 2000 Seville and am looking to replace the buttons on my steering wheel - the one for radio and temperature. Has someone done this before who can tell me how to remove and replace these? Thanks in advance!!

Pull the airbag fuse. Remove the upper and lower column shroud. If the 2000 is like the '99 I did, there are 4 holes on the back side that have locking pins in them, not screws as you would suspect. You need just the right size screwdriver and turning it 90 degrees will push each pin to the side and unlock it. A mirror will aid in seeing them and understanding what I am saying. Then you just lift the airbag out and unplug it. The switches unscrew from the back of the airbag. A FSM would be a great help.

My '03 Deville had 2 torx head screws to remove the plastic cover on the back of the steering wheel and then 2 "lock pins" to remove the air bag. In addition to pulling the fuse, the FSM says that you are also supposed to unplug the air bag connector behind the knee bolster (which I did).

• 2 weeks later...

I AM HAVING TROUBLE GAINING ACCESS TO THE SCREWS!!! I removed the shrouds, disconnected my battery, but can not access the 2 torx screws to remove the radio wheel controls. Any help would be great, or info on how to remove the steering wheel

I AM HAVING TROUBLE GAINING ACCESS TO THE SCREWS!!! I removed the shrouds, disconnected my battery, but can not access the 2 torx screws to remove the radio wheel controls. Any help would be great, or info on how to remove the steering wheel

Seems to me if I remember correctly that I needed to turn the steering wheel 1/2 a turn (180 degrees) to access the screws from the back side. Can you see the screws using a mirror?

Yeah, that sounds familiar John. Also if you hit the steering wheel button to extend it about 8 or 9 times you'll get another 1/8" extension out of it as I recall (per the '99 manual).

Archived