CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Service Engine

149,000 miles and I just got a Service engine soon :angry: I looked up the codes, P0741 Torque converter clutch system stuck off and P1860 Pulse width modulation solenoid circuit electrical. I changed transmission fluid and filter 06-07-05 approx 50,000 miles ago. From what I read the faults could be from transmission debris and to check a fuse under the hood. I do not feel there is any degradation in acceleration or anything unusual. Any help would be appreciated where to start. Should I change transmission fluid and filter again? Is the solenoid accessible?

The solenoid is accessible, but I believe you have to drop the trans to get at it so it is an expensive fix. The good news is that you can live with it. The solenoid locks the TCC up at 41 MPH. With it disengaged you'll run 100 - 200 RPM higher at any given speed, thus you'll loose about 1 MPG.

Check the brake switch at the top of the brake pedal. It disengages the TCC solenoid when you step on the brake. If it is faulty, misadjusted or disconnected it could be the reason for the DTC.

The solenoid is accessible, but I believe you have to drop the trans to get at it so it is an expensive fix. The good news is that you can live with it. The solenoid locks the TCC up at 41 MPH. With it disengaged you'll run 100 - 200 RPM higher at any given speed, thus you'll loose about 1 MPG.

Check the brake switch at the top of the brake pedal. It disengages the TCC solenoid when you step on the brake. If it is faulty, misadjusted or disconnected it could be the reason for the DTC.

[/quote Thanks Larry. I will check the brake switch. Should be able to do a VOM test. Droping the cradle would hopefully be my last resort if I can determine if the solenoid is the problem.

John

Archived