CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Water pump cartridge replacement

JimD

Got a coolant level message on the '98 last weekend and noticed the engine cradle was wet. Checked underneath and it was dripping coolant at idle. Ordered parts from Brasington and the pump tool from Bruce.

Easy enough job with the front on ramps in order to catch the old coolant. The drain valve on the left side of the radiator will drain the coolant down below the level of the thermostat hose (approx. 4 qts.). Remove the pump belt cover, release the tensioner and slip the belt off the cam pulley, remove the two radiator hoses at the pump cover, remove the pump cover and one more hose, remove pump cartridge.

My torque wrench is approx. 21" long and that gave me enough leverage to "snap" the old cartridge loose. Another payoff from maintaining the coolant on schedule.

First picture is new thermostat and pump cartridge. Notice the pump locking tab at the 7:00 o'clock position has a notch in it. The Service Manual says that notched tab should be installed at the 7:00 o'clock position in the crossover. Not so! It would seat properly only at the 1:00 o'clock position.

DSC02148.preview.JPG

Second picture is the pump cover and gasket which have have been redesigned within the last several years.

DSC02149.preview.JPG

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Did you replace the water pump cover too??? Is it necessary??? We did not do that. Still searching for answers.

My "other car"

100_05472.jpg

1968 Pontiac GTO, 400, 4 speed, 366 h.p., matching numbers car

*Get well soon, John Force!!!*

• 1 month later...

Thanks Jim. What do you think the functional difference is between the old and the new? Does anyone know when the "new" was put into service on OE engines?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Thanks Jim. What do you think the functional difference is between the old and the new?

Other than what you can see in the side-by-side picture, I have no idea. The cover is slightly different, the rubber seal or gasket is more than slightly different and I did not measure the thickness.

Does anyone know when the "new" was put into service on OE engines?

The parts counter guy asked me specifically if my pump cover had been replaced in the past few months. I din't pursue the point, but this new cover design could be a 2007 part # change?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

• 2 months later...

For some reason the gasket and cover were redesigned and the new gasket won't fit the old cover.

As long as you can re-use your old gasket you don't need to swap out covers, however if you must replace the gasket then you have to replace the cover as well.

Archived