CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

94 Deville Engine / Exhaust smell

reverbman

I recently purchased a 94 Deville ( I love this car!) with 100K miles. I notice a moderately strong sulphur odor at times when car is idling, and also a carbon smell when I come to a quick stop. The catalytic converter is new, and I've tried different brands of gasoline (as indicated by other users as potential problem) with no success. I was considering replacing the two oxygen sensors on this 4.9 engine. Since I'm not experiencing excessively poor gas mileage, and I'm not receiving any error codes, is this a worthwhile (about $50 for the cost of 2 sensors) exercise, or inviting trouble where no real problem exists? I'm leaning towards replacing both sensors, but have never done this before. Any installation issues to consider before undertaking this task? I appreciate any input on this.

Before replacing the O2 sensors, check for a leaky FPR and/or fuel injectors. My understanding is that a sulfer smell usually is from a rich fuel condition.

My experience was with my 1992 Chev Pick-Up. It has a 350 TBI, and had a reaked like rotten eggs after a long period of time of driving. I heard that when a catalytic converter becomes plugged or full, it makes your exhaust smell like sulfur. I cut out my cat' and the smell went away. Apparently it is suppose to make more horsepower but I noticed no difference. It did however give me a really nice exhaust note. I am lucky for there are no emissions tests where I live and no 02 sensors were bothered by me doing this. On a Cadillac I would not be so sure :unsure:.

Spence

Archived