CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Japanese Car Going Up in Flames...

Marika

This morning as I was heading to work, I passed a Japanese car parked on the side of the road. I noticed some "smoke" coming from under the hood but figured it was probably just antifreeze burning on the manifold.

As I drove past the car, I heard a loud "pop" and suddenly the smoke starting pouring out from the under the driver side hood, thick and black. The car was not running and no one was in the car.

I immediately pulled over and called the police who arrived in about 1 minute.

The fire department arrived about 5 minutes later at which point the entire front of the car was pretty much roasting. The fire department put the fire out.

I took a series of pictures of the fire but since I was not allowed to get close and I only had my 80mm lens with me, I got the shot, but it's not as close as I would have liked. I took the image to the local newspaper Bergen Record http://www.northjersey.com and they chose one image and scanned the negative. IF the story runs tomorrow in the local section of the paper, they will be using a cropped version of the image I'm including here.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Unfortunately, this server won't handle a file over 100K which is why the image is so small.

If anyone wants to see a larger version you can e-mail me through this server and I'll send you a copy if you include your e-mail address in the message.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Cool picture. A bummer for the car's owner though.

Do you have any idea what caused the fire/explosion?

I don't know what caused the fire. Smoke was rising from the driver side under the hood and the "pop" sound seemed to come from that side too. No one was in the car and it was parked and OFF when I drove by it.

Everything plastic under the hood was burning and melting, there was a stream of flames dripping down from under the car which appeared to be liquid plastic burning as it was running down to the pavement. The smoke was filthy black, then it turned gray and finally went white as the flames grew larger and hotter.

The tire on the driver side exploded from the heat as well.

did u get payed? and how much? lol :P

The way it works for ANY newspaper is:

If you are listed as a freelance, like I am, you get paid "per image" and only if the image runs.

The going rate, and most papers seem to pay this amount is:

$75 per image for the front page and $50 per image for any other page.

Again, these prices are only paid "IF" the story runs.

They don't sell the image to anyone else and if anyone wants to buy a copy of the image, they send that person directly to the photographer.

I've had images run in the Bergen Record but not many. I clearly give them more than what they end up running but not because the image isn't decent, it's because they decide to just not run the story.

Freelance photographers would starve to death if they depended on newspapers for their sole income.

My guess is that the owner put in an aftermarket sound system! Mike

As I drove past that site this morning, all that remained were large piles of what appears to have been the melted plastic which was nicely fused to the pavement.

Too much plastic in cars today, way too much.

Archived