CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

p 0388 code

brewdoggy

2001 dts had p0388 crankshaft sensor high output come up after car acted funny starting, service engine soon light came on but went off short time later. is it going out or just a glich? car has died every now and again when coming to a stop. thought i would check here with the experts before taking it to dealer.

The dealer is going to recommend replacing the sensor. Most folks here would say replace both sensors while you are having the job done.

Easy enough DIY with 1/4" drive tools.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Beginning in 2000 and for the next couple of years, the original crankshaft position sensors were of very poor quality and were quite prone to failure. Cadillac has redesigned this part twice since then. From what I hear, the latest design is quite reliable.

It's a good idea to replace both of them at the same time because, for some reason, the codes don't always indicate correctly which one is bad. It isn't a tough job to do except (on the Deville, at least) the clearances are so tight you need a skinny arm and lots of patience to get the job done.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Beginning in 2000 and for the next couple of years, the original crankshaft position sensors were of very poor quality and were quite prone to failure. Cadillac has redesigned this part twice since then. From what I hear, the latest design is quite reliable.

It's a good idea to replace both of them at the same time because, for some reason, the codes don't always indicate correctly which one is bad. It isn't a tough job to do except (on the Deville, at least) the clearances are so tight you need a skinny arm and lots of patience to get the job done.

you guys are great, sounds like i can do it myself. i like to hear that. does anyone have a picture to help me. thanks

I couldn't find a picture but I can tell you they are located on the front face of the engine, about dead center. One is just above the half-case seal, the other is just below it.

Hope that helps.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Archived