CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Original owner just called me

Va Maddog

I bought a 95 SLS (99k) on Ebay two weeks ago. I could not find the original owners phone number but I had his address from the title. He had traded it on a 2000 STS. I wrote him a letter and he just called me.

So now I know that within the past two years he had the transmission fluid and filter changed (I can only hope that it was not - eeegad flushed!) but it works great so I'm going to leave well enough alone with the tranny for now.

He said that he had an $800 tune-up last year. I have to wonder what they did for that - I'm guessing new plugs and wires at the very least. They must have to do something else to justify that cost! Maybe new belts??? Unfortunately he tossed his records when he traded the car in, so he's going from memory.

He also had to replace the heater blower motor - good for me, and the A/C compressor - another good for me.

Shocks and struts are original as would be all of the bushings, etc.

So now my list of things to do has grown shorter. I'm still going to drain the cooling system (myself) and refill adding the GM supplement tabs to the lower hose. And I need to check the FPR as I'm having an occasional hard start occur when the engine is warm (not cold or hot). If that is not it I'll then check the injectors for dripping/leaking.

So the call was mostly good news - the only thing better would have been if he had hung on to his service records, but knowing something is better than not knowing any history.

It is great that a former owner of you car, was so honest with you. It should be a credo of car guys to openly share information, it just helps us all! An 800 dollar "tune up" is possible. A "babied" car with many miles could have needed a carbon clean, "some" plugs (most shops change them all), wires, a serpentine (if I see a car with 80 grand, the original belt, and "carte blanche", I change it too!), possibly a coil pack or two, oil change, and the like. I have seen many cars that could realistically incur such a large "service" charge, just because they overlook many things. So the 800 dollar charge could have been much more than a tune up. I would be curious to know exactly what he got for 800 bucks!

So now my list of things to do has grown shorter. I'm still going to drain the cooling system (myself) and refill adding the GM supplement tabs to the lower hose.

Va Maddog, I just noticed this post, see quote above, the cooling supplement goes in the upper hose you will have a lot less coolant loss, lol.... Mike

Good Luck with the car!!

Archived