CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The infamous vibration

Rickster

I hope this issue is over for me. Found a shop with a Hunter GSP 9700 today and had the tires rebalanced, wheels checked and tires tested. Wheels and tires came out OK and they had to rebalance the tires after they were jusy done at the dealer a few weeks or so ago when they put the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's on. Seems the dip at the dealer can't balance tires. The guys at Tirecraft were terriffic. The guy tested the balance on each tire before rebalancing and each one was out from .25 to .50. No wounder they shook like a sheep at a shepards shindig. The ride home was as smooth as a silk purse. Eaised her up to the shake zone and right on through without a wiggle. Now she's ridding like a Caddy.

Hope it lasts

Rick

Oh ya.... Got the dealer to pay for the balance as well!!!!

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Nice to hear !

I took my summer wheels to the local wheel shop for balancing before putting them on a few weeks ago.

Asked them what tolerance they use when they balance and they said 0,5.I told them I wanted the best they can do and they told me that they can fine balance and put the machine on 0,2.The wheels came out 0,0 and now I just have a slight vibration at 75 mph (nothing before or after).My winter tires are crap,there the is a huge vibration between 68-87 mph.I have to change them to get rid of it.I bought the car with the winter wheels on and after reading about all the problems on several boards I was afraid that I had to live with the vibrations.

Sometimes a simple re-position of a tire, on a wheel, will get a better balance, per se. Also, excessive tire spin on a front driver, will "mess up" tires internally. been there, done that! Stay away from Goodyears, my experiences prove that they are garbage!

Balancing seems to be such an intricate process. What I mean is, the slightest variance can make a big difference. You have to find a shop that you know does a good job and then continue to use them. The machines have to be calibrated every so often and the guy doing the balancing has to make sure he attaches the weights in the correct spot and then check again (alot of shops don't check again--they just assume that it's right). Some older machines only balance up to certain speeds.

Max

Archived