CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

very bouncy ride...air ride problems?

cadillacetc92

Okay, you've mentioned three separate things here...air ride problems, stabilizar bar bushings and links, and gas struts.

1) The car doesn't have air suspenion in the front, so it's not a problem with that. The '92 may not even have it in the rear either, I'm not sure. But definitely not in the front.

2) I believe they make gas struts for many model years, but fitment varies because different years used different computer controls...and some years didn't use any computer control at all (like '97 Eldorado and Deville for instance). Are you referring to a passive strut replacement for your OEM active units?

3) If there's a popping or loose feeling in the front suspension, it's likely a loose or worn stabilizer bar link and/or bushing. The link is what connects it to the strut at the wheels, and the bushing is what holds it fast to the frame. If either is worn or even broken, you can get a popping or clunking, which is usually worse during the first few miles of driving. This is an extremely common problem -- I'm sure everyone on this board has had to make this repair to their car -- some owners probably multiple times. I know mine have been replaced before, and the clunking is back (has been for a few years actually). <_>

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

ok ya i think i have the clunk noise figured out...(link bushing something to that effect) but the front end on this thing over bumps just bounces like crazy..maybe its just me ,this is my first caddy and my other vehicle 95 mustang gt obviously doesnt ride like a caddy but the bouncyness just seems to be extreme..

Mechanically a bouncy ride would be a symptom resulting from a lack of damping. Your shocks, or in your case, your struts are faulty and in need of replacement. ;)

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

Mechanically a bouncy ride would be a symptom resulting from a lack of damping. Your shocks, or in your case, your struts are faulty and in need of replacement. ;)

Ya. If you don't know for sure if the struts have been replaced before, they probably haven't. These do last a very long time (mine are 127k miles old and still work very good), but your mileage may vary. If yours really are over 10 years old, they're for sure in need of replacement.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with the 1992 cars to know what your options are for strut replacement. Do you know if you have active struts? If so, you may be stuck with replacing them with active ones, unless you can effectively disable the suspension computer, so you don't get the "Service Ride Control" or similar message.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Hi!

I have a 92 Etc myself, so this i'm sure will help you. Yes, you have active struts on that car. You can replace them with standard struts. I bought a set of four from gmotors.com for about $420 shipped to my door. There is a procedure for removing the service ride control message, but, unfortunately that is lost in the archives of the old site. Maybe someone here remembers it and can help you. Also, your car has the auto level control on the rear, which means the replacement struts you order will be compatible with that. (air struts) Hope this info helps you. Also, when replacing the stabilizer bar links, go ahead and replace the bushings as well. It saves alot of time to do it when the links are disconnected.

Hope this helps, millwright71

Archived