CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

91 Fleetwood FWD Struts

Hey everyone, my struts are worn out in my 91 Fleetwood Front Wheel Drive. The 91 have these computer controlled struts. Apparently if I throw in just regular struts (like from a 89 or 90 which I am planning on doing because I've got a parts car) it will make my computer go all bonkers but the guy at the GM dealer told me I can buy a relay to eleminate the computer control on the struts. This relay is apparently $80 CDN. Is there any way to bypass the computer controls without buying this stupid relay? HAHA stupid service guys want $1100 to change the struts as well as a wheel alignment. Luckly I know how to turn some wrenches and know that the guys in the shop would probly not only put the struts in on the wrong side and upside-down but put ones in from a Sprint or a Sunfire :lol: ...No jokes. Any help would be great.

If I get these "Passive" struts, do I still need to buy the relay to get rid of the computer control? I also do not want to spend very much on these struts either. The GM dealer here told me that they do not make the electronically controlled struts anymore. ;)

Hi 67

I am sure your Fleetwood is the same as mine Deville. To disable the light, do the following.Remove the left front seat. Cut an L shape in the carpet. The module is mounted on the floor. Just feel it with your hand and you know where to cut. If you have the manual, you will find it at 8A-43-0. Cut circuit 1300(dark green wire)

at the CCR module(pin C15) to disable the indicator lamp. Tape the wires back into the harness to prevent shorting to other components. I used Ac Delco passive struts, the firm ones. If I had to do it over again, I would use the softer ones. Good luck.

Regards

Runar.

Archived