CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rear medaliaon came off while polishing!

STS Scott

While polishing the trunk lid on the STS last week end, I was trying to pay special attention around the badge on the back. Suddenly it came loose (I guess the 9 year old adhesive had enough) and fell out into my towel. Uh oh!

I am assuming the dealer would, out of coutesy, re-glue it?

I have not had a chance to get out to there, but what type of adhesive is it that is used to stick badges/trim to cars?

Thanks for any help!

Scott

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

I would doubt that the dealer will do anything for free, especially on an 8 yr. old car. That stuff is held on with a double sided tape. You can get it at any auto parts store, probably also at K-mart, Walmart, Autozone. I once use it to reattach the script "Cadillac" on a deck lid. Just taped it to the script emblem and used an Exacto knife to trim the excess. Then removed the backing and stuck it on. It was still there years later when I traded it.

Larry is right, thats what the most OEMs use (double-sided tape), for "badging", much more resilient to vibration that an epoxy-based glue, or other brittle compound.

3M has some interesting propaganda on a particular test-case that utilized VHB (Very High Bond) tape, for attaching plastic bumper "bras" to understructure.

I have tested VHB tape under vacuum to determine strength to wind venturis, for architectural products, .... very strong with high surface energy finishes, such as certain paint finishes.

yep, its the round one.

I still have the badge, so I guess I don't need a new one...however, I

do like the badge with red banner that holds the "Cadillac Motor Car Division" script, from earlier years (92-94 I believe) How much are the little things?

As for the badge falling off when I was polishing...maybe its a sign I am polishing it toooo much! LOL

Thanks for the responses!

Scott

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Archived