CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Center Heating/Air Vents

Rexfordray

After replacing the Heater/Air Conditioning Head Unit and the Door Actuator Drive Motor on my 1980 Fleetwood, 2Dr Coupe, 368 CID (6.0 Liter) engine, I still am unable to get air to come through the center vents. Did a vacuum pressure test on the Servo Unit located the the left of the floor downward vents and it holds vacuum. I pumped it up to 85 PSI and it never leaked down.

I am really puzzled on this one. I am prepared to remove the entire dash, heater box, etc. if need be. Has anyone out there ever experienced this problem and what do you do to correct it? A friend told me that the door flap for the center vents could be stuck. Okay, fine! But just tell me where the center vent flap is located.

Finally, I was having a problem with the blower motor sometime working and sometimes not. I was able to fix that by going to the pigtail that plugs into the backside of the Heater/Air Conditioner drive head and determined that the blue wire had broken ground somehow. I fixed that by what is called a "one to two" wire connector. The second wire of course is for grounding.

Rex from Pensacola, FL.

After replacing the Heater/Air Conditioning Head Unit and the Door Actuator Drive Motor on my 1980 Fleetwood, 2Dr Coupe, 368 CID (6.0 Liter) engine, I still am unable to get air to come through the center vents. Did a vacuum pressure test on the Servo Unit located the the left of the floor downward vents and it holds vacuum. I pumped it up to 85 PSI and it never leaked down.

I am really puzzled on this one. I am prepared to remove the entire dash, heater box, etc. if need be. Has anyone out there ever experienced this problem and what do you do to correct it? A friend told me that the door flap for the center vents could be stuck. Okay, fine! But just tell me where the center vent flap is located.

Finally, I was having a problem with the blower motor sometime working and sometimes not. I was able to fix that by going to the pigtail that plugs into the backside of the Heater/Air Conditioner drive head and determined that the blue wire had broken ground somehow. I fixed that by what is called a "one to two" wire connector. The second wire of course is for grounding.

Rex from Pensacola, FL.

UPDATE: After further trinking with the system this morning and testing various components, I know know the following:

(1) It now appears that there is a center vent that has a door flap that doesn't open in the A/C mode at all. I discovered this after finding the primary center vent and noted that it has sparated at the the vent that houses the center flap. Funny this is that in the Bi-Level mode the flap will open and blow air throw the center vents and the defroster vents. However in the strictly A/C mode the door will close. I can push it open manually and I get would get plenty of air in the center vents if I could find out why the door completely closes in the A/C.

Again, anyone, and you to Larry if you are reading this, give me some ideas on how to proceed please. If there is a vacuum connection for the center door flap then where is it located and how do I get to it? Is there someway I can get the flap permanently open? I can close the center vents and our outer side vents by way of manual closing levers or off/on levers if you will.

Again, help! Rex from Pensacola, FL.

I am reading, but I don't know enough about that year and model to give you any advice. I'd have to have a FSM or be able to see it to figure it out. I would expect there should be a vacuum diaphram to pull the door open. I would then check to be sure that there is vacuum applied when in the bi-level mode.

Archived