CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

VERY LOW REFRIGERENT?

jinxed45

It means that your A/C system is very low on refrigerant and has disabled the compressor to protect it. You need to recharge it. If you charge it yourself you will need to clear the code before you start charging it.

I had the same code on my 96 SLS when I first purchased it (4 months ago). When I tried to add refrigerent, it would not take any. I then tested it with a pressure guage to see how low it was and it was well above the yellow zone (caution area). I then bled the system off and refilled it to the correct level. Unhooked the battery to reset the error code, and it has worked fine ever since. Total cost was 20 bucks for guage and can of refrigerent. Be carefull if you do bleed your system off as the refrigerent is very very very bad to inhale.

Be carefull if you do bleed your system off as the refrigerent is very very very bad to inhale.

Have you ever used one of those "air in a can" products to blow dust out of keyboards, etc.? Many contain tetrafluoroethane, also known as R-134 and R-134a. It is perfectly legal to use those products, but don't tell anyone you vented your A/C system! :)

Be carefull if you do bleed your system off as the refrigerent is very very very bad to inhale.

Have you ever used one of those "air in a can" products to blow dust out of keyboards, etc.? Many contain tetrafluoroethane, also known as R-134 and R-134a. It is perfectly legal to use those products, but don't tell anyone you vented your A/C system! :)

I just happen to have a can sitting on the shelf above my computer. 100% tetrafluoroethane. It does not say harmful to breath. It does does say it is heavier than air and displaces available oxygen. Treatment: give oxygen. Also can cause frostbite.

Archived