CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I need some help!

Hello everyone.

Im a proud owner of a 94 sts 2 years ago.i didint had any problem whit my baby yet,until now.And i need some help with that.

the car has 236.000 km in it,it's been very well manteined.

And now she is leaking oil from the rear of the engine,dont know where!

I did talk to a few mechanics and they saying that's either my oil pen gasket or my rear main seal.If anyone had this problem before or eable to give me any info about this i would really appresiate it.

Thank You!

ZSOLT-94sts

Is it a major leak where the oil pours out or is it just a nuissance leaving drips on the driveway and garage floor?

Also, did it start all of a sudden or has it been getting gradually worse over time?

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I had 1989 Deville with a 4.5 liter engine that developed a similar problem. A mechanic friend put it up on a hoist and checked all the pan bolts, etc. He found some that were loose. (Don't over do it, they should just be snug.) That helped it for a while. Also, check to make sure the oil filter is snug if the leak is in that general area.

It's usually easier to see where the oil is coming from if you steam clean the engine then drive it 500 to 1000 miles before getting it up on the hoist.

Bear in mind that the leak can be higher up on the engine and the oil can be seeping down to the pan flange where it collects and becomes visible. The same holds true for wind. The movement of the car through the air can move the oil rearward to a point where it collects and becomes visible.

Oil leaks can be difficult to track down and expensive to fix. If the dripping isn't too bad, it's often easier to just live with it. I keep a coffee can full of sawdust and sprinkle it on the drips on the garage floor that come from my wife's Oldsmobile.

I wish I had an easy cure but I hope some of these suggestions help.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Thank you for your info.

The delership says that the crankseal is a really common problem with a northstar engine.But tonight i chekedt wher the oil coming from,and it really semslike that its comming from the passanger side of the engine. The crenksil what the mechanic is talking about is on the driver side.

So idont know what to do,but the oil leak is pretty bad i cant leavet like this.

Thank you for your info.

The delership says that the crankseal is a really common problem with a northstar engine.But tonight i chekedt wher the oil coming from,and it really semslike that its comming from the passanger side of the engine.  The crenksil what the mechanic is talking about is on the driver side.

So idont know what to do,but the oil leak is pretty bad i cant leavet like this.

Unless it is pouring out it is not a big deal, just a nuisance.

Clean the area that you believe is leaking, a pressure car wash does a good job.

If it is leaking from the front of the engine it may well be the crankshaft seal, they normally do not gush but just drip.

All of the gaskets in this engine seal on silicone beaded gaskets or 0-rings, overtightening does not help and may strip the bolt or screw hole.

Next with a 10 mm wrench and a 10 mm socket tighten all of the front engine cover bolts, do not over tighten, just snug the bolts up.

Do the same for all of the oil pan bolts,do not over tighten, just snug the bolts up.

Look over the oil cooler lines. Where the lines enter the radiator the line may have loosened or not been replaced properly. The oil will follow the hoses back and the wind will blow it around the area you describe. Tighten the lines where they enter the radiator, do not over tighten, the main sealing here is an 0-ring.

The crankshaft seal repair if required is not a hard fix, but unless you are very mechanically inclined I would have the dealer fix it. The crankshaft bolt is on with about 350 lbs of torque. It is hard to loosen and must be carefully retightened; or you can suffer catastrophic engine damage due to oil pump failure. If you decide on this I would have them replace the front cover gasket as well.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Archived