CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

OIL smell

seebold

Does any one know if it is possible to remove the oil pan {gasket} with out removing the Trans axle {Transmision}. Or pulling the engine on a 2000 DTS. The cross under pipe is clearly in the way, Can this be cut ,moved away and welded after wards? Also it looks as though there is a bolt {13 or so mm} that is offset. Can a crows wrench be used here ? I have not done the dye test as of yet. I under stand that there is a two pc block on the 4.6 but it looks as though the oil pan is the culprit. when we come to a stop we get a wiff of burnt oil through the vents. It is embarssing to me the guy who braggs to his wife what a great car the deville DTS is <_<<_<<_<

I would try to clean up the area with brake cleaner spray or your favorite chemistry and then put some dye in the oil.

The gasketing was improved starting in 2000 and you want to be sure to nail down the source of the leak. I have had crankshaft position sensors seep a tiny bit of oil that gets blown all over by road draft. Also be sure the oil filter adapter, oil pressure switch, and oil level sensor are not contributing to the problem

Replacing the crankcase half seals and pan gasket is a drop-the-cradle exercise.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Some people have reported greatly slowing, if not stopping a pan leak by removing the bolts that are attainable, spraying both the female and male threads with Brakleen and blowing it out with compressed air. Then apply Permatex thread sealer to the threads and retorque to specs.

Does any one know if it is possible to remove the oil pan {gasket} with out removing the Trans axle {Transmision}. Or pulling the engine on a 2000 DTS. The cross under pipe is clearly in the way, Can this be cut ,moved away and welded after wards? Also it looks as though there is a bolt {13 or so mm} that is offset. Can a crows wrench be used here ? I have not done the dye test as of yet. I under stand that there is a two pc block on the 4.6 but it looks as though the oil pan is the culprit. when we come to a stop we get a wiff of burnt oil through the vents. It is embarassing to me the guy who braggs to his wife what a great car the deville DTS is <_<<_<<_<

The 94 Factory Service Manual says the only way the pan gasket can be replaced is by removing the engine.

I just tried to drop the pan to seal my oil pan with sealer but could not remove three bolts, one of which is a 13mm exhaust flange and oil pan combo bolt. These bolts (two 10mm pan bolts and the 13mm) are probably accessible with a flexible screwdriver-like ratchet that uses sockets, which is made by Robi(?) and can be purchased at Lowes. The 13mm socket may have to be cut in half to allow it to seat on the 13mm bolt. I tend to believe the Robi tool will fit between the pan and transaxle to allow access to the two 10mm pan screws as well.

If all the pan bolts can be removed and the pan dropped about 1-2 inches then perhaps it may be possible to pull the old gasket out and install a new one. There will be at least one obstruction, however, being the Suction Pipe—which means the gasket would have to be cut. A new gasket would be positioned into a groove in the pan. When oil contacts a new gasket it will expand. If the gasket expands prior to positioning the pan, a new seal must be used. I’m not sure if a new gasket is rigid, soft, or both. If it’s rigid enough so that it can be manipulated then it may be possible to replace without removing the engine. I was not able to drop the pan so I could not determine if this idea is actually feasible—Frankly, I doubt it but it’s worth a look.

Archived