CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Update: Painted Center Caps

Bentham

Hi, painted the center caps tonight [[red, white, gold]] and they look fantastic.. However, about 4 hrs after letting the paint dry I sprayed the High Gloss enamel paint and it ate away the gold paint I used. Was it because I didnt wait long enough for it to dry, or just because it's gold ? It says 'don't spray on ''high luster gold''

Thanks guys

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

sorry, flubbed post...

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

It may be that the gold paint was lacquer based which can react with the overcoat of enamel. I'm not too sure about polyureathane interacting with either. Then there is epoxy-based to worry about. The cure-time issue may also come into play with all or any of these combinations. I guess there is something to "test strips", which I seldom thought about - unti I runined something...

With the broad base of intellect and experiance in this forum, I'm sure someone will have a few specifc questions that can lead to a definitve answer.

Hopefully you can recover the work!

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

sorry bout that paint, but i'd like to see some pics of ur center caps... sounds neat

Bentham, I've sprayed clear lacquer, over enamel,(usually a no-no)by putting on a couple of "Dry" coats, as in LIGHTLY misting it on. The trick is to put it on so that it doesn't get wet enough to lift the underlying coat. A couple three mist coats, DRY, between each one, seals it off. The 4th or 5th coat can be put on wet. Test strips, like reading the directions, when all else fails, It's a guy thing. Ask for directions, NO, I'm NOT lost...

rek

I strongly recommend using Spar Urethane. You can buy it at Home Depot... it's made by Helmsman.

It is made to withstand rain and UV and the finish is very shiny. It does have a longer curing time than some enamels.

Archived