CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power Steering

Ebby

Would it be a good idea to have the power steering fluid changed so as to help the life of the rack seals and remove moisture from the system?What fluid is used in the system as I have been told that you can't use trans. fluid Thanks 97STS

Regular power steering fluid should work fine. I changed my fluid when I changed out the PS pump. Just remember to bleed the system after you change out the fluid. You bleed it by jacking the front wheels up and turning the steering wheel back and forth. You should see bubbles in the fluid. Start car up and check fluid level. Go for drive around the block. Recheck fluid and top off.

I changed mine because it was dark and smelled a little burnt. Just use a good quality power steering fluid.

There is also a filter that gets over looked. On my 93' STS it was located below the right front fender, near the turn signal light; it looks like a fuel filter. Mine had crimp on type hose clamps that I cut off and replaced with stainless steel screw type clamps.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

I changed mine because it was dark and smelled a little burnt. Just use a good quality power steering fluid.

There is also a filter that gets over looked. On my 93' STS it was located below the right front fender, near the turn signal light; it looks like a fuel filter. Mine had crimp on type hose clamps that I cut off and replaced with stainless steel screw type clamps.

-George

Hey, that's interesting George. Where did you get the filter?

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Would it be a good idea to have the power steering fluid changed so as to help the life of the rack seals and remove moisture from the system? What fluid is used in the system as I have been told that you can't use trans. fluid Thanks 97STS

Any GM parts counter will have GM branded mineral oil based power steering fluid in quart containers; non-corrosive, non-foaming.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived