CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

High oil Pressure 4.0

abad95

Hey everyone. My brother-in-law has a 95 Olds Aurora with a 4.0 Northstar. The car reads out up to 90 PSI at Idle and wont go much lower than 32 PSI after fully warmed up. As you can imagine, at 90 PSI while idle, the car reads much higher while driving. Sometimes the car acts fine, but 90% of the time is really high. Any and all input is greatly apprieciated. Thanks.

Florin

i've only had really high pressure once, the pressure relief valve was sticking shut, they're usually an integral part of the oil pump.

luckily mine was on an Opel 2liter cam in head motor and the oil pump was mounted externally.

other causes could be wrong oil type, wrong type of filter, the pressure sender may be faulty or there could be a chaffed wire. there may even be a fault with the gauge.

really hgh oil pressure can damage an engine so you need to check it properly especially if you've got very high pressure indicated at high engine speeds.

best way is to connect a proper mechanics pressure gauge at the appropiate point, usually where the oil switch is.

the results of that will lead you to the correct repair.

i've only had really high pressure once, the pressure relief valve was sticking shut, they're usually an integral part of the oil pump.

luckily mine was on an Opel 2liter cam in head motor and the oil pump was mounted externally.

other causes could be wrong oil type, wrong type of filter, the pressure sender may be faulty or there could be a chaffed wire. there may even be a fault with the gauge.

really hgh oil pressure can damage an engine so you need to check it properly especially if you've got very high pressure indicated at high engine speeds.

best way is to connect a proper mechanics pressure gauge at the appropiate point, usually where the oil switch is.

the results of that will lead you to the correct repair.

Hey dude. Thanks for the info. I have a 95 STS with 180,???. It's crazy how these car last. I thought I had a lot of miles. How did you get those miles on a 00'?

Florin

i bought it 2 years ago with 177k on it. the 1st owner used it to drive from bristol to london and back every day, so nearly all the miles were done cruising on the motorway.

even so, thats a hell of a lot of miles in 4 years in the UK.

Archived