CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Stop Engine

Capt'n Rob

I live in Michigan and the weather is getting warmer, My 95 Eldo is starting to act up.

The car will rough idle and die out under load. The EGR code is present and the "check engine light" would come on. The car would do this several times while driving, once it dies, the car would need to rest for a period of time and then start. Instead of the car turning over, it would basically really rough idle then sputter out.

I replaced the EGR and that seem to clear up the code and the "check engine light". But the car will still rough idles, but it does appear to die out less, only twice since the new EGR and think that was because of the med octane fuel. What the heck could I look for now?

when it dies out does holding the gas to the floor help it restart? if so the preasure regulator may be bad( mine was hard to start when warm)

Joe

Yes, but more like playing with the gas like it was carbureted.

thats exactly what mine was doing (had a 95 eldo at the time) do you know were the regulator is? very easy to check and replace maybe 15 minutes tops!

Joe

dont know if chiltons shows it or not, its under the plastic engine cover to the rear on the right(drivers side) close to the egr but under the cover, cant remember what it cost but wasnt astronomical, if you dont see it in your manual let me know I'll scan the page in mine and email it to ya.

Joe

OK, now the car is worse, it's 70 degrees here today and it died about 6 times while out to lunch.

I did the check out in the parking lot at work and here is my report back. After popping off the cover and locating the FPR, I removed the vacuum line for a bout 45 seconds, thats all the car will run at under hot conditions at idle. For 45 seconds their was no fuel. BUT, the mechanic that replaced my EGR forgot to tighten a back bolt! This guy works at a Cadillac Dealership for crying out loud.

Two questions, could that back bolt be a culprit or do I need to run the car longer than 45 seconds to notice any fuel coming from the FPR?

Let me know Capt. still sounds like the fpr but I guess it could be a injector or somthing. Bob could probably shed more light. Is it giving you a code for the stall?

Joe

Tightened down the EGR with a 10mm.

Left home for work and the car stalled out over 30 time driving 15 miles. I had to shut the car off, let it rest and restart. Go a half mile and stall. It's only when you let off the gas at times it cuts off.

Talked to my guy at the dealer and he told me to bring it in.

Now thinking it could be a map sensor?

Report back soon.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, it's not a map sensor after all. Still having the problem.

It's back at the dealership getting worked on out the back door. (Friend of mine is Caddy mechanic)

Here is the deal so far, the mechanic hooked up a fuel pressure gage and was able to duplicate the symptom, the fuel pressure gage basically went down to no pressure when duplicating the problem. Now he is thinking it is a fuel pump.

I'll keep you posted and let him know about the ICS.

Sputtering problem resolved due to a bad fuel pump but "Stop Engine" - Low Oil Pressure problem still lingering. Any other thoughts?

I also swapped out my links pins and busings reducing the front end noise down to nothing.

bbobynski you were right! Oil pressure switch on the oil filter adapter went bad, problem solved and car back to normal. My mechanic swapped it out for $40.

Nice job on the new board guys. Keep up the great work!

Archived