CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Brake Pad Sensor

2000 STS MN

When I was replacing my rear wheel potentiometer (sensor) I noticed broken wires which I believe to be brake pad sensors (See Attachment). I have not replaced the pads so I can only assume the wires were broke by a brake pad replacement person. 1st, the wire(s) in the picture are for the pad sensors? I have a error code for brake pads and still have pad life yet. I do not have a shop manual, are most caddy drivers using this feature or should I join them with a wire connector. Both rear wheels have broken wires. I will check the fronts also and expect the same. I would fix these if required but will need a picture or instructions on where they connect and how. I guess it is time to replace my own brake pads.

John

Unless posting rules have changed, as long as you're registered you should be able to post pictures. However, there is a file size limit. Generally, if the picture is a jpeg under 59KB you should be able to post it.

Unless posting rules have changed, as long as you're registered you should be able to post pictures. However, there is a file size limit. Generally, if the picture is a jpeg under 59KB you should be able to post it.

Thanks, new to this. The picture was 2.5 meg. Can you post a link to a picture web site?

When I was replacing my rear wheel potentiometer (sensor) I noticed broken wires which I believe to be brake pad sensors (See Attachment). I have not replaced the pads so I can only assume the wires were broke by a brake pad replacement person. 1st, the wire(s) in the picture are for the pad sensors? I have a error code for brake pads and still have pad life yet. I do not have a shop manual, are most caddy drivers using this feature or should I join them with a wire connector. Both rear wheels have broken wires. I will check the fronts also and expect the same. I would fix these if required but will need a picture or instructions on where they connect and how. I guess it is time to replace my own brake pads.

John

You can jumper the pad sensor at each position until you have a chance to replace the sensors and the pads as nesessary.

Or if you want to disable the system forever, I can tell you how to do that. But I don't recommend that approach.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

[attachmentid=2836]

Hopefully the attachment went through this time. Not sure if it will be of any quality at 51k.

I have not replaced the pads myself. I take it you purchase special pads with this plug in connection? Or is the sensor assembled to a generic pad? Must be why the wire has been ripped apart. I found a nice push lock connector to join the wires for now.

post-4466-1161129309_thumb.jpg

The pads actually have a small slot milled into the pad material for the insertion of the sensor, which is nothing more than two wires in a sacrificial plastic tab that wears when the pads get worn to that point. It would be quite easy to modify any pad to make them fit.

The pads actually have a small slot milled into the pad material for the insertion of the sensor, which is nothing more than two wires in a sacrificial plastic tab that wears when the pads get worn to that point. It would be quite easy to modify any pad to make them fit.

Thanks for the info. Looks like at a minimum I will need to replace the plug with sensor on both rear wheels.

John

Archived