CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Idle 5-9 pulley

95SLS

I just put a new one on just a few months ago and this one is already sining like a bird.

So, luck have it, GM GIVES me a new one.

I notice that old one had a "Loose" feeling hub. (Anyone else have this)

But the bearing seemed fine.

Not easy to get at, I changed it out but was looking all over creation for like a tourqe for this bolt that holds it on. None found in archives nor in factory manuel.

I was just wondering if I did not tighten it too tight last time.

And another observation, almost everyone I know that has a NS has been asking me about this same pulley and the noise that it makes. Seems they go this time of year.

Anyone know any tricks to making one last more than like 6 months?

MC

You guessed that one. I got about 40 miles of quiet and back to sqeaking even more. But it seems to be the Idle tensioner this time, the pulley that turns on it. I mean it's so loud now that the car is grounded! Not so sure what to do. Replace that or adjust the power steering. MC

Well, I parked it in the garage and took alook see. I have a mechanics stethescope and seems to still be coming from the 5-9 pulley. It also seems that the belt is wearing slightly (Mind you new belt installed by Cadillac dealer) on the left side on the smooth side as you look at it from F. Also notice that 5-9 has belt running sort of off center towards the starboard side of car (As you sit in it) I am wondering it the 5-9 might not need some shims to get it out more towards the outside and thus the belt more towards center.

I checked the tensioner pulley and that seems ok, kinda has resistance but smooth and tight. No nois seems to come from that area. I get the most noise from the 5-9 when I touch the stethescope to the hub of it.

I have searched the million dollar manual's I bought specific to this car and they don't give me a clue besides buy the pack of various belts that omit one pulley at a time. PG 6B1-8 And I am not finding the bolts you discribe on the power steering pump, I also looked in manual, even less info on that subject.

I'm still thinking 5-9 I let the tension off while running and it responds. So I back off bolt on 5-9 and noise changes considerably, But not going away.

Should I shim the 5-9?

I'm thinking not the PS pump because it ran alright up to now and was intermitent. Mostly squeaked when cold out at first start up.

Well coach? Kinda like giving a haircut over the phone eh?

JFYI Replaced AC pump & Clutch in Aug 03, And Idle Pulley, (Ran fine after that until winter. Then nois was just on start up and when cold. Got steady recently.

Change 5-9 Monday, By Mon Night it was back to sqeaking and so bad Wendsday I can't even be seen wiith the car!

MC

I just came back in from looking. Before I read this. But anyways. I am looking with a hose and I still have not been able to put a finger on it other than maybe the AC compressor (GOD NO! I just did that 6 months ago!) or the small part of the idle pully It is a loud loud noise and I can;t seem to find it driving me nuts! Maybe it is the alignment as possibly the whole dag gone belt is whinning in each pulley! Thanmks for the help, I won't get to it until Sunday at least and maybe after that. Bug UNION meeting Sunday and they need my NO vote.

M<C

Ok, I get most squeak from tensioner pully. When I squirt at it (The pully on it.) it stops but returns as soon as I stop feeding it lube. Do you think I have it? And anyone have a PN for the tensioner? I tried to find one on GM parts but the act like they don't offer that part, Yea right!

Mike C

Ok, I get most squeak from tensioner pully. When I squirt at it (The pully on it.) it stops but returns as soon as I stop feeding it lube. Do you think I have it? And anyone have a PN for the tensioner? I tried to find one on GM parts but the act like they don't offer that part, Yea right!

Mike C

I believe you can get the tension bearing and Pulley from an auto parts store. I got a a new idler pulley from them when I replaced my squeaky belt.... You will need to remove the belt, the tensioner is bolted to the head with a single bolt through the center, I believe it has a 15mm head. After removing the tensioner you will be able to see how to get the pulley/bearing off to replace.

Just by chance did you check the alternator? When mine went bad it would squeak when it was cold and then get quiet at first, then the bearing went out completely.... very noisy. Replaced it noise was gone and then the regulator went ou on the new one after 60 days..... :( . Replaced it again..

Good luck

Dennis

WELL, I got the idle pulley off. And I have about got it ruined and some of my tools trying to get the pulley off the idler. I used all the chemicals, heat, brut force, long extensions, and even a 1/2 drive impact wrench with 750lbs of thrust. It has not budged. Any Ideas now?

MC

Get a new one. ($53)

Try here: http://www.partszoneonline.com

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

I wish I had seen that post like yesterday. I paid $81 at a Caddy Dealer. I did put it on and that was only some of the squeak. It finally stopped when I put some shims behing the 5-9. It took several tril and errors but I got it, at least so far. MC

UPDATE: Well that was it, several hundred miles and no squeaks. A small thin washer behing the 5-9 idle, It was a pain in the rear, it made a terrible noise and who would have thunk it? I compounded the problem by using belt dressing to locate the source, and I think that messed up the belt (We had been warned before) I also put a new belt on as advised and silent as a baby lamb. Thanks Bobynsky. MC

Still the use of the belt dressing and the cost of a new belt was cheaper than the best isolation kit. I got off for 17 bucks.

Someone else asked the same thing, I went to a Cadillac parts counter and that is whatthey called, and listed on the bill and that what the computer printed out 5 9 pulley. Refering to the idle pully not the tensioner, but the one that rides fwd of that but behind the alt. It's just an idler. I guess 5-9 has something to do with the ratio of the pulley. Perhaps inside (5) and outside (9) Who knows, I never called it that until they did. MC

Archived