CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

car cover

98deville

Is this for in a garage, stored over the winter, or is this for outdoor daily use???

In a decent garage, the cheap ones have been good for me. There are several varieties... some are super light and silky, and just about see-thru.... others have a vaguely tarp-like surface on the outside, and a softer cotton-like surface on the inside.

Opinions really vary.... I've been pleased with both. I ended up with 2 because the first one I bought, which was the one the guide said to buy for an Eldorado, was too small... 1 size too big is the one that fits... the tarp-like one is the one I use for winter storage... all I really need it for is dust protection, though.... either one would have worked for me....

If you want to cure your insomnia, you can go on Corvette Central's website, and read all about the myriad of car covers & materials that are out there, keeping in mind of course that a lot of that won't be available for Cadillacs.... but at least when you see some covers that would fit, you'll have some idea where they are in the heirarchy of covers, and the theories behind varies construction and materials.....

For outdoor daily use, good luck. I gave up on that... unless you live in a great climate anyway, and are just protecting from excessive sun, they turn out to be a real PITA...

I would recommend AGAINST a car cover if you intend to take it on/off all the time. It will wear the paint on the edges of your car (like on the mirrors, the taillight extrusions, etc) and taking it on and off all the time will really introduce the possibility of scratching your paint.

If you intend to use it outdoors and keep it parked for a while at a time, I would highly recommend getting the kind with a lock. Not necessarily to secure it or your car (because it can be easily cut), but to secure it TO your car. I had one in college one time, on a prior vehicle. It would set out in the student lot for a week at a time and I covered it. It worked fine until one stormy day when the wind blew it away. It was either blown away or stolen because there was no sight of it at all.

They also say to get one that fits SNUGLY, because even a loose-fitting cover that flaps in the wind can slap and wear the paint. In general, folks have told me to not mess with covers, and after I lost my first one, I didn't replace it. They say any wear/dirt you save your paint from is probably negated by the wear from taking it on/off all the time. Plus, it doesn't protect against hail damage or anything like that anyway. If this is at your house, and you plan to be there for a while, I might invest in one of those $600 car cover structures. If you live in an apartment, I would just keep it open and keep a sunshade in the windshield. I've been there before (trying to keep a car clean while living in an apartment), and I agree with those who told me that a cover really wouldn't make any big difference (and just adds to the frustration/subtracts from the enjoyment of driving the car).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I tend to agree with Jason... outdoor covers can be a real pain....

Mine blew off in a storm once too, and I thought I had it tied down....

Also, in the morning, it'll be all wet & dirty... It just doesn't work out for daily use...

If I was parking something outside for a few weeks at a time, I might think about it....

Also, taking it on & off every day is a pain.... it takes more time to do that than it takes to wash the car once a week....

My only slight disagreement with Jason would be, the thicker tarp-like ones, with the cotton inside, may offer some protection against small hail.... but that's a nit-pick. Overall, I am in agreement...

Mid America Motorsports is another one with a plethora of covers.... again, all for Corvettes, but educational insofar as you will gain an understanding of materials and purposes of use.....

Archived