CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Short Road Trip

Garlicdude

Took a short road trip of about 400 miles to the Napa wine country. Our daughters bought us a balloon ride for our 25th Anniversary. Trip was about 400 mi. Car performed with out a hitch. Cruised at 80-85 on the freeway. Came home via the Golden Gate bridge. Stopped at Tommy's Joint in San Francisco. Averaged 21MPG overall with no oil consumption.

The new Bridgestone Potenza RE950's are a HUGE improvement over the Goodyears. Low noise and much better handling. The torque steering when performing WOT's is gone, and the car is much more nimble. Still has some body roll that stiffer suspension would probably cure, but what the heck, I'm older and don't need to keep up through the narrow canyon roads with the Japanese rocket set.

My wife and I enjoyed the drive and the CD changer made the trip seem too short. The balloon ride got mixed reviews by both my wife and I. I would have preferred to be a little higher in altitude and a little stiffer breeze.

But what about the wine????? Tell us about the wine!!!!!!!!!!! ;):P

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Marika, The balloon ride was the attraction. We drank a bottle of Sutter Home white zinfindal, yeah I know, and a bottle of champagne. I prefer Bombay Gin martinis.

Take it from a wine expert, a balloon ride requires a nice, bold red, zinfandel and cabernet sauvignon come to mind. (and yes, REAL zinfandel is RED)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Napa is a fine place to spend a days or few, but a little too much Interstate for me on the way.

Have you tried going east on SR-140 from Merced via Mariposa to Yosemite? What a great, lazy drive along a winding river and canyons. We ended up in Sonora, at Knowles Hill House, a grand 1920's Estate-style B& B on top of their own hill. Great little town full of fine cultural events, nice area to cruise around in shops etc and cures the "need to see trees" - and then some..

Now for some fine curves... you must already know about the drive on 152 west, just before Watsonville. What a road course...if it could be closed off!

The reseviour on the way over from Gilroy, the awe-inspiring "fruit stand + + +" and huge rows of flower gardens are just simple pleasures to behold.

These kind of road trips with luggage and time are where the Caddy shines through all others. Its a shame to be rat-trapped in traffic in such a fine ride. I guess I'm spoiled by maybe 15-minutes to go 13-miles including 4-miles in town (cows not withstanding).

Enjoy the big cities folks... ;)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Archived