CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

K&N filter

tekfx19

Hey guys whats up? I had a question about the K&N filter for the 96 sts. It seems wierd how everyone swears that they get more horse from the k&n cone filter rather than stock airbox design, but im hearing two sides to this. Everyone says the stock airbox is sooo restrictive, so logically i bought a K&N cone filter from www.pfyc.com, i know it fit cuz my best friend drives a 99 gtp, and his 7 inch cone fit like a dream in my car, BTW i do have dynomax super turbos on the car with expanded pipes to 2 1/4. ANYWAYS, what about the issue of sucking the hot engine compartment air into the intake, that SHOULD be hurting performance right? So what i did, after driving around with the cone for about 6 months, i put the stock box back in with the paper filter and felt improvements in initial throttle response. BUT now im back to square one! I thought that since i have the exhaust done, i could compliment it with some sort of higher intake flow, so i bought the K&N panel filter for the stock airbox, (for the 99 gtp which also fit my car). SO now im getting higher flow intake and exhaust AND its coming from outside the engine compartment, i think this is good. FINALLY my question is : Is there anything i can do to improve the setup i have in anyway way, shape or form? I dont really understand the gutting airbox thing, but if ppl say it helps ill do it.

Thanks alot everyone for your input.

Btw- so far that i noticed with the new k&n flat filter, the throttle response still isnt really as good as the paper filter....whats that about?

Bottom line around here Tek...Stay with the stock setup, even down to the paper... (and this is coming from a guy with the K&N panel)..There's been all sorts of discussion and debate about this subject, but the resident expert here 'bbobynski', who bedevils us all with truths (and can back it up..) has pretty well convinced most of us, along with factual inputs from other owner/drivers, that the stock system gives you the most, with the least risk.

Canabilizing the intake box makes more noise, but really hasn't been proven to improve on performance. What that method can do, is set your intake up for water ingestion and hydrolocking the motor. That is a catastrophic phenomina and failure mode which can happen much easier than a lot of people think.

Even the paper panel filter has proven to breath a tad better overall, than the K&N. Had I been this convinced a couple of years ago, I wouldn't have sprung for one. Oh, well, no big deal really, my motor is still real happy with that and a low restiction exhaust system. one of these days the still brand new OEM paper filter in the box may go back in... ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Btw- so far that i noticed with the new k&n flat filter, the throttle response still isnt really as good as the paper filter....whats that about?

It's about the stock intake system being designed very well, with very little improvements being made with other designs, including filters. Cone filters, flat filters...they just don't flow any more than paper filters. The worse performance is most likely coming from disrupted airflow to the MAF sensor. People will tell you all day long that, "no way could that filter hurt performance." Well guess what...you're just another one of us who realizes that it does (in some cases). I tried a cone and found just about the same results as you. Seat of the pants "dyno"...seemed to be less power on the low end, and maybe a little more power on the high end. Worse fuel economy. To me, it was a no-brainer -- put the paper filter and correct air box back on and know I'm running at the optimum performance level for this engine. If your friend can edge you in a race with his souped up Pontiac, you know that it's just a ~Pontiac~!! You're in a Cadillac -- and with all the luxury and "aura" that comes with it. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived