CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 concours towing a boat????

bearnupe1

I am buying a boat that weight 2000 lbs and according to my owners manual I can tow 3000 with the concours because it has the towing package standard, I assume that means that it has the extra oil cooler in front of the radiator which it does. I am concerned that my 98 will not be able to tow this boat safely, I am using a new trailer with surge brakes and I am told that i should have no problem. the car is in good shape but for the usual oil leak, I have 135K on the car and am up to date on all services. I know there may be other, better tow vehicles but this car is at the end of its life and untill I get another one in a year or to I want to tow with it. I occasionally get a PCM 0741 code that pops on but the dealer tells me not to worry and I just reset it when it comes on, the car still shifts with no problems into overdrive. my questions are as follows:

will the car be able to tow the full 300 if I need to?

will the rear of the car sag to low and be unsafe?

should I get a load leveling hitch if i can?

any maintenenace I should do before I start to tow?

any other advise and recomendations would also be helpful?

any other advise and recomendations would also be helpful?

Keep the gear selector in "3" when towing. Small fuel economy penalty at highway speeds.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

If well maintaned, 135K is far from the end of its life. A load leveling hitch can't hurt, but remember that you have ELC (Electronic Level Control). If you follow the above advice, I'd say you should be fine.

I've seen several Northstar Limosuines go over 300-500k on the original drivetrain there

A limo is, I guess, a ton heavier than a regular Deville?

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

Archived